The "Problem" With Pageants

The "Problem" With Pageants

Getting rid of the swimsuit portion of Miss Teen USA is not the solution.

1115
The "Problem" With Pageants
Darren Decker

Beauty pageants have always been subjected to criticism. People often accuse pageants of focusing solely on appearance, thus negatively affecting young girls and teaching them to care more about looks than brains. However, not everyone realizes that there are other components to pageant scoring than simply modeling.

The Miss Teen USA and Miss USA Pageants have always been broken down into three sections: swimsuit, evening gown, and personal interview. Contestants are judged by their modeling skills, but also their answers to questions on topics ranging from personal aspirations to world issues. The women competing are expected to represent themselves and their regions with grace, class, and compassion. Furthermore, titleholders are held to a certain standard that requires them to be positive role models. Those who don’t uphold that responsibility are stripped of their titles, as seen before in news reports.

While pageants do help women achieve modeling careers, those same women often have a philanthropic cause they’re supporting. They should not be criticized for enjoying modeling, especially when they’re using their publicity for good.

Additionally, they should not be criticized for putting extra time and effort into their appearances. There is nothing wrong with keeping up with fashion trends or wearing makeup. Yes, society often judges women for wearing no makeup or “having a few extra pounds,” but in an effort to combat those critiques, some people have instead turned to belittling women who are thin and who enjoy both fashion and makeup. If we focused more on teaching respect and self-worth, we not only would get rid of this hypocrisy, but we’d remove the idea that people dress to please others. I’ve always been interested in fashion, but I wear the clothes I do because they make me feel confident and beautiful. It just so happens to be a bonus when I get a compliment from someone else.

The recent removal of the swimsuit section from the Miss Teen USA Pageant has been noted as a “step in the right direction,” meaning a step away from treating women like sexual objects. This thought could make sense to a lot of people, except for the fact that sexual objectification comes from viewers. If you say that women competing in the swimsuit section of a pageant are saying “yes” to sexual objectification, are you also saying that women on a beach are okay with that treatment? It’s entirely possible that women choose swimsuits based on how they feel in them and not whether or not they are perceived as sexy. The Miss Teen USA Pageant had rules against skimpy bikinis, instead instructing the contestants to wear something more modest and age-appropriate. I understand that, given the age of the Miss Teen contestants (14-19), the switch to athletic wear seems more suitable. After all, the purpose of that portion is to show that the women are leading active, healthy lifestyles. Still, the problem of sexual objectification will remain no matter what the contestants are wearing because some viewers can’t see beyond a woman’s body.

Pageant contestants gain much more from competing than just a chance at modeling. When I was in seventh grade, I participated in the Miss Preteen Chicago Pageant. This pageant didn’t have a swimsuit portion, but it did consist of a personal interview with the judges, casual wear, and formal wear. I had always been shy and felt a little awkward, but participating gave me a confidence and stronger sense-of-self than I had had before. I learned how to present myself professionally in the interview and articulate myself well when answering a question onstage in the formal wear section.

The “problem” with pageants is not a focus on appearance; it is the objectification perpetuated by disrespectful viewers who don’t understand that the presence of a well-groomed appearance does not equal the absence of brain cells. The switch from swimsuits to athletic wear makes sense because judges can still recognize that the women are living active lives, but sexual objectification is not going to disappear until the way people view women changes.