Saying "I'm Not Anorexic, I Just Don't Eat" Is Still A Serious Eating Disorder
Health Wellness

The classic "I need to look good tomorrow, so I won't eat today" is a common phrase tossed around on campus as each young woman desperately does anything to appear slim or skinny.

766
https://www.youtube.com/watch?reload=9&v=705yRfs6Dbs
"To The Bone," Netflix

Anorexia and bulimia are two of the most common eating disorders in the country. While they affect people of all ages, the most susceptible time for young women to fall victim to them is during their college years. This is often attributed to the increase in stress, low self-esteem, and exposure to social media.

In recent studies, it was found that about 20% of women and 10% of men will fall victim at some point to an eating disorder during their time in college. Typically, the disorders begin developing between ages 18 to 21 and can have devastating long-term effects.

Anorexia Nervosa is the most common disorder. Common symptoms include restricted eating patterns, constant exercise, and the fear of gaining any weight. Symptoms, however, do not always determine whether or not someone is a victim. The basis is this: anyone who disallows food for themselves in order to lose weight is exhibiting anorexic-tendencies. Regardless of being blown off as a "new diet" or not, the act of starving yourself can cause serious health issues such as bone weakening, infertility, and organ failure. Bulimia is the second most common.

Bulimia is typically someone who may appear to eat normally, but after eating they will often force themselves to purge. Symptoms often include extreme guilt after eating, rotting teeth enamel, and stomach acid issues. This disorder as well can seriously affect the body, causing an imbalance of electrolytes, which can lead to a heart attack or stroke.

Regardless of severity, anyone who intentionally limits, purges, or restricts their food intake is at severe risk of developing a further disorder.

It's common knowledge that most college students are budgeting their money. They're learning how to shop on their own as well as how to put aside money and save for essentials. It's no surprise that the "starving college student" is a rhetoric, however, it can often get lost and blur the line between living on a tight budget and simply starving oneself.

All too often, college culture tells us that not eating or being hungry is normal, and once many young men and women see the weight they drop, it becomes an addicting cycle. The need for food becomes minimal and being hungry becomes a third or fourth priority while studying and attending university.

The classic "I need to look good tomorrow, so I won't eat today" is a common phrase tossed around on campus as each young woman desperately does anything to appear slim or skinny. It's as if the need to be thin overtakes your body's natural desire for food. Let me make this clear: not eating intentionally is still anorexia.

I'll make it clear right now that I'm not talking about some diet where you restrict fats or other unhealthy food groups. I'm not talking about trying to be healthy or trying to get into good shape. If you disallow your body any or most food because you're afraid of gaining weight, you are exhibiting an eating disorder.

Starving yourself or purging are both dangerous methods to lose weight. Often times the victim is in reality very slim or thin, however, cannot see the reality and therefore continues to harm their eating habits. While most people state that water weight is a real thing, starving yourself for days can have drastic effects on your metabolism and your body's ability to break down food. Victims often have serious digestive issues that take years to get back on track. For those that purge, your metabolism suffers as well, however you also rot your teeth and stomach lining.

In addition, if the victim does begin eating normally again, their body is no longer used to consuming normal calorie amounts and therefore can actually cause weight gain even if you're eating normally.

Not eating is anorexia. Forcing yourself to get sick after eating is bulimia. Both are serious eating disorders that take years to recover from.

The best advice I can give as someone who's struggled with my body image my whole life is to be kind to your body. If you're hungry but scared about gaining weight, eat something healthy. But if the disorder is progressed, therapy and medical attention are necessary. Eating disorders are a mental illness and therefore have to be combated more than just physically. It's an illness that takes its victims' hostage in an internal battle. I'm sick of the rhetoric that fasting and starving is normal in college. It's not. Your best self is not going to be found by dropping weight in an unhealthy fashion.

College kids, please eat. The weight loss is not a real, healthy option when you're fasting or starving. There are options to lose weight in a way that will make your body better rather than the latter. If you or someone you love is suffering from any symptoms or signs, please call (800) 931-2237 to speak with a hotline and take the first steps in recovery.

College is a crazy time, but please don't do any damage that can't be repaired. It's never too late to reach out for help. Starving or purging is not the only option, and you're not alone.