Remember the last time you received a thank you note? You probably felt flattered, honored, or humbled. Or a combination of the three.

Now, remember the last time you sent a thank you note? If you actually can, more power to you. If you can't, you are probably blaming it on a lack of time or energy.

Thank you notes. Probably the thing I was yelled at most by my mom for while growing up. She would always remind me to write thank you notes for gifts that I had received for months until I finally did. Yes, months.

I never understood the importance or urgency of a thank you note. They were just another thing to do and often made me feel superficial and redundant when writing them. But, they seriously are the complete opposite.

Thank you notes are one of the best things to receive from anyone. Beyond a feel-good reminder from a close friend, they are also a huge sign of flattery from strangers or new acquaintances. They often seal the deal that first impressions deliver.

Whether you are thanking a family member for a gift or thanking a speaker for their time, thank you notes really do go a long way.

They are often the pivotal things that form friendships or develop work relationships.

In a society where everyone is constantly plugged in, but also so detached from one another it is way too easy to just keep moving even after someone has impacted you in someway. We often forget how good affirmation and recognition feels, or at least forget how relatively easy it is to give others this feeling. It is so important to thank people for the help that they provide and the gifts they give.

Not only are you going to make their day, but you will also feel much more accomplished after doing so. Thank you notes are not just the right thing to do. They also have the power to build a bond with someone or strengthen an already existing bond.

So, next time you owe someone a thank you do not forget the power of a simple thank you note. It doesn't have to be long. It doesn't have to be fancy. I promise you that just a thank you note will go a long way.

Oh and if it works out for you in any way, don't forget to thank me.