The Power Of Letting Go

The Power Of Letting Go

It's human nature to hold grudges, but there's nothing more freeing than admitting we have no control.

12
The Power Of Letting Go
The truth is, unless you let go, unless you forgive yourself, unless you forgive the situation, unless you realize that the situation is over, you cannot move forward.
–Steve Maraboli

Letting go can be difficult. Whether it's forgetting a mistake or leaving something good behind, it's hard. As humans, we want to hold onto everything for as long as we can. Ironically, that is one of our fatal flaws.

From a toxic relationship, mistake, or re-living our high school glory days, it's hard to simply let things go. Because we don't want to. We like living in the past and reliving experiences instead of finding new ones, simply because we are scared. Humans are cowards by nature, with fear of the unknown always on our mind. Therefore, it's hard to let go of what we find "familiar."

I've never been a person to hold a grudge, but that doesn't mean it's easy for me to move on from things. I've had people disappoint, hurt, and betray me, but I've never hated them for their actions. Instead, I remember how it made me feel and how I let that happen to myself. I take on the blame of other peoples actions and carry the weight of it on my own shoulders. This is simply because it's hard for me to let go of the things that have happened to me and I'm scared that it can happen again.

Do I know that this is destructive to my well-being? Yes. I know what this does to me, yet I continue to carry these burdens. Lately I've been able to accept this and realize how it is holding me back in many aspects of life. I find it hard to embrace new things, new relationships, and new opportunities. But recently, my best friend came into my life and has begun helping me move on and let go of the past. We even developed our own saying, "Forget, don't regret."

This means: do not regret any of your choices or wish that you could undo the past. Everything happens for a reason, and we have the choice of whether we dwell on the situation or let it go. This does not mean to forget everything and act as if it didn't happen, but instead don't focus on the negativity it carries and look for the good it brings.

When we're able to let go of the past and move forward, that is when we are capable of living life to fullest and seeing everything that the world has to offer. We have to be able to move on from the past and welcome the future with open arms or else you can never move forward.

So if there is something weighing on your shoulders, take a deep breath, and re-evaluate what effect it is having on your life. You may not realize that you need to let go until you allow yourself to realize that there is something holding you back. It is only then that you can reach your fullest potential.