The Plight Of Pit Bulls, And Why They Deserve Better

A look at one of society’s biggest prejudices.

91
Quotes Gram

For most of us, the media is a prevalent part of our lives. Unfortunately for Pit Bull Terriers across the country, the media has given them an erroneous representation. I grew up with Pit Bulls in my youth, and I can remember many occasions when my little brother (who was 4 at the time) would snuggle up for an afternoon nap, with our dozy dog, Midnight. She was a real sweetheart, and a model “Pittie”. She had amber colored eyes, and her fur was black with a brown undercoat, with a white starburst of fur on her chest. She loved to play fetch in the yard, but she also loved to cuddle on the couch for a movie. She was a friend, as well as a protector. She loved everyone she met, but would be on the alert if she sensed potential danger. She was 4 years old when we adopted her from a shelter, and she’d already had a litter of puppies when she arrived there. My family and I fostered her for a couple of years, and we also took in a couple other Pits at one time or another to foster as well. They are people oriented, commonly family centered, and are just some of the most loving, loyal dogs I’ve ever met. They’re good listeners who love to please their owners.

So it should come as no surprise, that that’s the reason they make good fighting dogs. They’re eager to please, they listen to commands, making them optimally trainable. It seems to me that you could just as easily teach them to be nice, but the criminals who train them to fight, don’t see them as a pet or part of their family. They see them as property, and a way to make money.

Now, I could go on a tangent and ponder, “What does that say about our economy, when people are so desperate to make money, that they’ll put an innocent animal’s life at risk for sport and profit?” However, I’m going to stick to the topic at hand, which is the fact that Pit Bulls do not deserve the bad reputation they have garnered because of explicit, fear mongering media coverage. They have been sadly misrepresented, and more often than not, the media examines the people they’ve attacked, as opposed to the brutality committed against these animals, that caused them to be aggressive in the first place.

When you see a report on TV, or an article in a newspaper, magazine, or on a website, about a Pit Bull that viciously attacked a random child, the networks/companies don’t care about the well-being of the dog or the child. They care about headlines, ratings, and profits. It’s all business to them, and that makes them a part of the problem. Rather than trying to raise awareness to fight for animal rights, or to educate people about the breed, they’d much rather shove an ugly caricature in front of your face, and let your imagination take over from there.

Currently, I don’t own any Pit Bulls, and I’m going to explain why. When my husband and I were stationed at Ft. Lewis, Army Base and living in Washington State, we talked about wanting a dog. After my husband came home from his first (and only) deployment, we decided a couple months later that we should go to the shelter, and look into adopting a dog. I saw 4 beautiful Pit Bulls while I was there, a couple of whom I wanted to take home so badly! There was one small caveat though: Our apartment didn’t allow Pit Bulls. There were many more breeds as well that they didn’t allow, mostly due to a weight limit, but also because of breed discrimination. To top it off, the humane society were sticklers for those kinds of rules, and they would call your apartment to find out for sure what the breed restrictions were. Obviously, Pits made the list. So that’s why my husband and I were unable to adopt a Pit Bull. I love all three of our dogs we have right now, even though they’re not Pits. It still bothers me though, that so many people don’t have the option to adopt these sweet, loving “bully breed” dogs, due to state, city, county, or apartment laws. Not to mention that some insurance policies also are against Pit Bulls, and won’t cover you for renter’s insurance if you own a Pit.

Some people think that all Pit Bulls are damaged goods, coming mainly from abusive backgrounds. That’s not the case, and although there are a lot of Pits that have endured the hardships of being fighting dogs or bait dogs, there are just as many that come in as strays, and ones who were surrendered due to breed discrimination, wherever their family was moving to. It’s a difficult tightrope to walk, owning a Pit Bull. However, the experience is rewarding, and well worth it! If you show them love, treat them right, and train them properly, they are wonderful family dogs.

They are just like people, in terms of how they cope after suffering through a negative, life-changing experience. Some are able to come out of it stronger and sweeter, while others continue to deal with symptoms of PTSD. The ones who have endured so much trauma that they can’t come back from it, will usually never be put up for adoption to begin with. If an animal is deemed unsuitable for adoption, well then you can pretty much guess what happens to them.

The following 21 photos, are ones I procured years ago while doing a search on Google Images of various cases of Pit Bull abuse. I compiled them into an album on Facebook, titled “Pit Bulls’ Plight” and decided to write captions for each of them—the bad photo’s captions being based on the facts surrounding what actually happened to them—since they cannot speak for themselves. The last bad photo before I move onto more positive ones, comes with a poem I wrote, and I wanted to share it, because it’s the only way I know how to attempt to illustrate their perspective. It’s a harsh reality, but these dogs have already lived through it. The least we can do is show respect, by honoring their memory, and moving forward with the intent to do something good for them. I’m starting with the bad photos, and ending with the happy ones. Some of these photos you’re about to see are very graphic, in terms of animal injuries. Don’t feel bad if you cry when you see them, as it means that you have a caring heart, unlike the people who abused these dogs. I’m truly sorry if these photos upset you, but as an editorial writer, I feel my job is not just to write articles about lighthearted subjects, but to deal with some of the cold hard truths of life. Unfortunately, this is one of them…but it doesn’t have to be. I wrote this article with the intent to become a more outspoken advocate for animals, specifically this particular breed that has been mistreated, time and time again. I want to change that picture. I want this breed of dog to have a future.

If you’re looking for an inspirational documentary to watch about this beautiful breed, check out "Champions", on Netflix. It’s about some of the surviving dogs from the Michael Vick case. Now do one more thing: go check PetFinder.com, and find your furry bully friend! There’s always tons of them available, for every state you search for. They need you. They need help from good people who will love them as they deserve to be loved. Some have endured unimaginable amounts of pain and torture, and some of them are recovering, and waiting…for a family like yours.

Maybe today will be the day that my owners will feed me. I guess they're too busy today. Maybe tomorrow...if I even live that long.

Why did my owner hog tie me with metal wire? I want to be free...from this pain.

I was used as bait for a fighting dog to train on. I don't want people to be repulsed by how I look now.

My owner tried to crop my ears and dock my tail himself. I'm just a puppy. Is this the price I pay because someone didn't love me just the way I was?

My owner lit me on fire. What did I do wrong?

Two teenage boys set me on fire. Who will want me now?

My owner punished me with an ax to my head. I'm now blind in one eye, but I have seen what evil things people can do.

Michael Vick did this to me. A pro football star who everyone looks up to as a hero. I simply looked to him to care for me and keep me safe.

I was used to fight against another dog for someone else's sport. I know there's a sweet dog somewhere inside me, so why have I been trained to do such harm?

I cannot hear, I cannot see,

but I feel maggots eating away at me.

I cannot move, my moans are weak,

oh how I wish that I could speak.

I wish that I had been shown love,

I hope to find it in Heaven above.

For now it is my time to leave,

I wonder if anyone will even grieve.

I'm almost ready to go away,

but there's one more thing I'd like to say.

If my owner, had possessed a heart,

I may have had a different start.

But now, as I am nearing the end,

I only wish I had a friend.

Someone to love me, someone to care,

someone who would always be there.

Now I shall go, my time is done,

but maybe you could love another unloved one.

Love is learned from teachers who also practice it.

My best buddy and me (the dog).

Matching smiles!

Just chillin'.

Life doesn't get much sweeter than this!

Yay, naptime!

Where have you been all my life? Thank you for always being there for me "Mom"!

Love comes from all walks of life!

It's never too late to show you care!

I'm Lexis, and I've been living at an animal sanctuary in Marion, Wisconsin for over 10 years. I'm a sweetheart, but no one has given me the chance to show them. I fear I may never find my forever home. If you are not able to help me, then please at least consider helping another Pit Bull who needs you!

I will become who you raise me to be. If you teach me to fight, I will be a fighter. If you teach me to love, I will love you unconditionally. Who I grow up to be, is up to you. You have the power to shape me, and you have the power to shape my future generations as well. You have the power to help put an end to animal abuse, and to help end the stigma that surrounds my breed. Yes, you have that power, which means you could be a hero! Will you be my hero?

Rest in Peace, with love to all the "Pitties" who were abused and are no longer with us. They may have lost their fight for life, but I will continue to fight for them for the rest of mine.