The Perks Of A Long Distance Relationship In College

Why having a couple of miles between your relationship is a blessing.

53
yourtango.com

Everyone seems to think that long distance relationships are really hard to manage when you're in college. Whether it's five, ten, or even a hundred miles away, it seems to be impossible. But why doesn't anyone think to look at it another way?

Have you ever thought about what life would be like if your significant other went to the same school as you? Imagine having that person you call your boyfriend or girlfriend in your classes and walking through the same hallways you go through on a daily basis. It might be all butterflies and rainbows at first but think of everything that's going on around you. All of the fun times you're missing out on with your roommates when they ask you to go bowling with them, but instead you have a homework date with your boyfriend. Or your teammates are going out for dinner and you instead would rather stay up late talking to your girlfriend, locked away in your dorm room. You end up missing out on life and you don't even realize it. Your social life will disappear and eventually everything revolves around that one person. Your friends will start to miss you and eventually will give up, knowing they won't get a chance to hang out with you. Don't let this happen in college. Some of your most memorable experiences happen when you're young. You can't let these things fly on by, just because you're caught up with that certain someone who happens to live right next door.

It's not the end of the world if your boyfriend or girlfriend goes to another school. It's awesome when they get to come and visit every once in a while, but by having them constantly being wherever you are, it can prevent you from living the life you should want to live, and doing the things you want to do. You should want to have some space and live a little. Go out with your roommates and have fun with the girls. Or get together with the guys and watch a football game together. Whatever it may be, don't get caught up on having someone live far away and thinking it's the worst thing that's ever happened to you. Appreciate the fact that you both were brave enough to go different ways and still be strong enough to stick together and live different lives. It's a blessing to have a relationship that works well in two separate colleges and still make time for friends and activities. Don't eliminate that special person out of your life for everything, just make time for yourself and for others. Enjoy your college experience and be happy with the distance between you two.