9 Songs For Your Perfect Rainy Day Playlist

"I always like walking in the rain, so no one can see me crying." -Charlie Chaplin

332
Abrie Richison

With all of the rain in Charleston recently, I thought I would help stop the search for a rainy day playlist by presenting one to you, fully equipped with nine perfect songs. I hope this makes all of the rainy days to come even more emotional than normal. Who doesn’t love the gloomy clouds, rain-streaked windows, wet concrete smell and the perfect playlist?

1. "Re: Stacks" by Bon Iver

Bon Iver continuously blesses us with melodies and lyrics that make us think deeper thoughts and feel our deepest emotions. He sings, “Everything that happens is from now on, this is pouring rain, this is paralyzed,” implying a new beginning. There’s something exhilarating about beginning again, especially when the rain is dancing on your windows, inviting you to get moving as well.

2. "Down the Line" by José González

Not many people know about this song but the ones that do have instantly fallen in love. José González sings, “Don’t wash the dirt off of your hands, you’re doing the same mistake twice,” making it fit perfectly with the rainy day vibe by offering ideas of acceptance and growth from our mistakes.

3. "Dreams" by Fleetwood Mac

This song has been and will continue to be iconic. This is the song to play when the clouds cover the blue skies, creating the muted yet beautiful ambiance of a rainy day. The lyrics read, “When the rain washes you clean, you’ll know,” once again fitting perfectly into this playlist.

4. "Dreamer" by Isbells

Isbells speaks to our souls when he sings, “Think twice just before you begin, ‘cause it’s easy to lose yourself in onward motion.” Lyrics like this are what make music such a blessing. How can a small bundle of words have such an important meaning? And what better what to enjoy this beauty than on a rainy day.

5. "Slow It Down" by The Lumineers

I am not going to lie, I saw The Lumineers live and cried my eyes out during this song. There’s something unforgiving and inevitable about the story being told, one of two lovers who are trying to make it work despite the ugliness and sadness. There is toxicity in a love that destroys you, but, nonetheless, many of us pursue that.

6. "Robbers" by The 1975

What better time to be exposed to these songs about toxic relationships than under the blanket of the rain. The 1975 gives us an example of a relationship where the two people would do anything for each other. In the bridge of the song, Matty Healy sings, “And I’ll shoot him if it’s what you ask,” submitting himself to doing whatever she wants, even killing a man. Once again, the rain sometimes brings out our emotions, even desperation.

7. "To Be Alone With You" by Sufjan Stevens

The slow tempo of the guitar in this song makes our hearts ease, letting us fully feel the impact of the lyrics. The lyrics, simple as they are, hold many interpretations to be explored. Sometimes the simpler things in life are what open our eyes the most.

8. "Meet Me In The Hallway" by Harry Styles

Now I know what your thinking: How can I add Harry Styles to a list containing icons like Fleetwood Mac? Bear with me, I have a case to plead! This song, eerie as it may be, is comforting and enticing, which is something we need on the rainiest of days. Harry Styles sings, “Just let me know, I’ll be at the door, at the door, hoping you’ll come around.” This feeds our desperate hearts with even more desperation.

9. "Requiem On Water" by Imperial Mammoth

Yes, this song is from the Twilight soundtrack. Lyrics like, “Love will be the echo in your ears, when all is lost in plunder my love will be there still,” give us a little something different than the desperation and raging emotions; it gives us a bit of hope. A withstanding love, a forgiving heart. What more can we ask for?

From Your Site Articles