The 'Outlander' Series Is Worth The Read and The Watch

No, seriously. The show is as good as the books.

17

During my long hours of being quarantined in my home, I've definitely spent a little too much time reading or watching Netflix. After getting tired of reading the fast-paced psychological thrillers, I decided to open my mind to something a little more daunting. The 'Outlander' series by Diana Gabaldon has eight books and a ninth one on the way. Not to mention, each book has around a thousand pages. It's not an easy challenge to accept, but with all the extra time I have, I figured why not? After the first chapter, I was hooked. Somehow, I managed to finish the first book in under five days since I was unable to put it down.

The 'Outlander' series focuses on Claire Randall, a nurse who has recently reunited with her husband, Frank. They are taking their second honeymoon in Scotland after being separated for sometime due to the war. Hence, the year is 1945. I won't reveal too many spoilers, but Claire manages to get transported back in time. Not only a few years, but all the way back to 1743. She has to adjust her life as she knew it before, to the vastly different times in Scotland. Along the way, she meets Jamie Fraser. And ladies, he's a heartthrob that will always keep you on your toes. Their love story includes a fair share of struggles, while also spanning across generations and including the passion and drama we love to indulge in.

If books aren't really your thing, you'll be happy to know that Netflix has a series based on the books. Due to my attachment to the characters, I watched the show as well. It's rare that a show or movie lives up to its novel counterpart, but this show really brings to life everything I read. By adding faces to the characters I loved so much, it helps visualize what the scenes really look like.

Even though reading eight long books is definitely a commitment, it's one that I don't think you will regret. After finishing them, I highly recommend watching the show as well. I hadn't even heard of the show before I read the books, but I wish I had discovered it much sooner. Thank you, Diana Gabaldon, for creating a beautiful storyline, as well as relatable characters who shape it.