11 Reasons 'Outlander' Should Be Your Next Obsession

Brave characters, romance, sci-fi, adventure, Scottish accents, and evil British officers, oh my!

120
Starz

Since it’s release in 2014 on Starz as one of their original productions, "Outlander" has been a pretty well kept secret. But it shouldn’t be. It’s fantastic and one of the only shows I’ve watched in a long time that has completely roped me in. It was nominated at the Golden Globes for Best TV Series and Bear McCreary’s score was nominated for Outstanding Music Composition at the Emmy’s this year. In addition, the leading actors, Caitriona Balfe and Sam Heughan, have been nominated for several awards, winning a few for their performance in the series. But this show doesn’t need awards to speak for it, it speaks for itself and will more than likely win your heart over if you give it the chance.

1. The story

This story combines many different elements into a plot that sucks you in from episode one; it sets you up with enough drama, adventure, romance, and history to keep you binging on episodes until you run out. We meet Claire Randall (Caitriona Balfe) after her time as a British army nurse during the second world war. She and her husband, Frank (Tobias Menzies), are reunited and on their second honey moon in Scotland where they spend time exploring the beautiful and enchanting scenery there, one place being Craigh na Dun. Claire returns alone one day and is transported to eighteenth century Scotland after touching one of the stones there. She has to instantly adapt to this new alien world in hopes she can make her way back to her own time. But it isn’t easy, especially as she finds herself falling in love with Jamie Fraser (Sam Heughan)

2. Claire Randall

She’s the kind of female lead I wish more shows had; she’s clever, strong, brave, witty, classy, and extremely determined to fight for what she believes is right. After all, Claire is a British woman thrown into the Scottish Highlands during a time when the Scots were fighting the British tooth and nail to keep their culture and land in tact. Needless to say she faces more than one challenge, especially when the sadistic British officer, Jack Randall, makes his debut. Her role in the Scottish lands as a healer in a time where all her modern knowledge could be misinterpreted makes her proceed with caution but she always does whatever she can to save every life she can.

3. Jamie Fraser

Another incredibly well developed male lead that I wish we saw more of in TV shows. He’s the guy of every girl’s dreams, kind, caring, brave, strong, loyal, witty, not to mention attractive. You can’t forget about that accent either or the way he rocks a kilt. However, all his good looks are no match for the remarkable traits he has; he would risk his life for anyone and truly puts other people first in every situation, even if it costs him his life. He’s a man of his word; he won’t break it or any oath under any circumstances. His mental strength is just as abundant as his physical strength and skills as a fighter. Just as an added bonus, he speaks French. If you don’t fall for him, you’re an idiot.

4. The setting

The Scottish Highlands are enchanting; they’re lands with so much history steeped in an intriguing culture centered around clans, loyalty, and their fair share of legends. The sweeping landscapes the intro video shows combined with the reworked folk song, “The Skye Boat Song,” sucked me in immediately. I’m currently having a difficult time not blowing all my savings on a trip over there. Throughout the show, the characters explore beautiful forests where they find hidden streams and water falls and roam across the broad valleys and rolling hills of the highlands. Combine the landscape with characters that capture your heart and you have the makings of a show that is bound to make you swoon. Also, there are castles involved.

5. It’s adapted from a book series

From what I hear, this TV series is one of the most true to the books of all books turned TV show. The author, Diana Gabaldon, works with the producers on a regular basis, helping them bring the magic of the books to life on screen. I haven’t read the books yet, but I must say, her work with the crew pays off; viewers bond with the characters and can see them change and grow in ways that’s hard to portray on screen. There are certain things that usually get lost in translation from writing to screen but this show is good about keeping everything in tact. The producers are very good about including scenes and dialogue that help further the plot and develop characters, nothing is done half-heartedly. Bonus: once you finish the series, you can read the books and have endless entertainment since there are eight of them.

6. Production quality

The historical accuracy and attention to detail done for this show is amazing; the costumes are always on point as is a lot of the historical information and even the vernacular language used. The costume designer was actually nominated for a Costume Designer’s Guild award for Outstanding Period TV series. Diana Gabaldon did her own extensive research to be sure her story lined up with the facts and it definitely does. When it gets to the point that Claire and Jamie begin trying to change major events in history, you begin to wonder about the lasting effects that kind of thing would have on the world we live in today. It’s truly fascinating. But this show truly is the whole package, the score, cinematography, the actors, costumes, the story, and everything make this show one of the best I’ve seen in a long time.

7. It will win your heart

The adventures the characters go on, the witty banter between characters, the undeniable chemistry on set between Claire and Jamie, and the magical setting make this show something that captures your heart and your soul. The steamy romance scenes aren’t so in your face like those from "Game of Thrones" tend to be; they’re done tastefully and help you see the bond between the two characters grow. There are plenty of gritty action scenes as well as tender moments of heartfelt conversation. If watching Claire and Jenny ride off after Jamie doesn’t make you want to find your own horse and ride through the countryside, your sense of adventure is seriously lacking. I find myself itching to explore after I watch one episode. It’s likely to make you feel the same way. You may just start searching for a way to time travel yourself. Either way, you’ll be completely sucked in.

8. The characters

Overall, these characters are some of the best, not just the leads but also the supporting roles, too. Each character brings his or her own fun little touches to the story and they are all very dynamic and different. Some of Jamie’s clansmen are the uncivilized and brutish but they have their redeeming qualities, like loyalty. Jenny, Jamie’s sister, is another incredibly strong female lead; she does what she has to to protect her family and her clan’s land while her brother is running from the British all while helping manage the estate and raise a child. Dougal, Jamie’s uncle, is a multi-layered, semi-disgusting man that is always looking out for his best interest and what will help him. Jack Randall is the character that will make your blood boil, literally. This cast of characters and their excellent actors bring to life a story that will have you on your toes. Claire meets Geillis Duncan, a rumored witch, who proves to be a true friend with an interesting past herself. Just before she makes her exit, you’ll learn something very interesting about her.

9. You’ll ride the emotional roller coaster, too

A plot filled with such engrossing adventure, swoon-worthy romance, and suspense will take you on quite the emotional up and down. Without giving anything away, I will say there are scenes that will make you want to rip your heart out or reach through the screen to make the pain and suffering stop. Likewise, there are scenes that will make you wish you could trade places with Claire and be the girl involved in a romance for the ages. You’ll also be able to relate to Claire’s struggle to stay loyal to her modern husband, Frank, while knowing she’s falling for another. Every time Jack Randall appears, you’ll wish you could point a gun through the screen and shoot him yourself. The end of each episode will have you reaching for the remote to start the next within 0.2 second of the start of the ending credits. Trust me.

10. Whiskey

‘Nuff said. Forget about ale and rum, these characters have a whiskey habit that’s hard to break. On the plus side, you know how they stayed warm during those snowy winter nights. Claire will drink more than is polite for a lady of her new time but she never blinks an eye while all the men don’t know what to do with her. As you watch, you may find yourself curious what all the fuss is about. I know I have. I haven’t tried whiskey yet, but it’s now on my to-do list. It also makes for a couple of funny drunken tirade scenes and pub brawls.

11. Wanderlust

This show will make you crave adventures of your own in foreign places, meeting charming strangers and adapting to their way of life. It’s a scary thought to leave everything that’s comforting but you probably won’t care. You may even find yourself scheming up a way to save the money to make said adventures happen. I know I’ve thought about it more than once now. The characters spend many nights camping under the stars and traveling dirt paths through that gorgeous scenery. As you watch, you’ll likely find yourself wanting to do the same thing, take the adventure of a lifetime, of two centuries, like Claire.