The One Thing I Want To Do For Myself In 2017

You are not alone.

11
Adonika Williams

It's that time of year again. That time when people make resolutions and goals for the new year and we all know that not all of those goals get accomplished. We tend to forget about that and put them on the back burner. Sometimes we even neglect the fact that we even made a goal. This year is different for myself. It's not a goal or a resolution, it is something that will help me in the long run. I want to focus more on my mental health and take care of myself.

Anxiety can take a lot out of you and sometimes we don't even take the time to notice it. When it goes unnoticed or untreated, it can start to affect your life in many different ways. I started experiencing anxiety in college, but I always knew I had anxiety because of my emotional outbursts in high school. Sometimes it prevents me from doing chores or wanting to get out of bed (I still get up anyways). It can prevent people from doing a lot of things, but you need to stay positive and focused on being a better version of yourself.

The first step to getting help with anxiety or any mental illness for that matter, is to admit that there is a problem. There is no shame in understanding that you need support and someone to guide you. That is what moves you towards the right track. The longer you fight your sadness or what feelings you have, the longer it will take to get on the right path. There are people who can help you and people do want to support you in your well being. For me, it took a long time to even admit there might be an issue and that it is okay to talk to family and friends about seeing a psychologist.

When I say I want to focus more on my mental health, I also mean doing things that will make me happier and more relaxed. I would love to have time where I make myself a great dinner and wrap myself in blankets and watch a movie. I would also like to explore Norfolk and Virginia Beach more as these are the places I go to school and live near. The biggest thing I can do for myself is focus on me growing as a person and better health. I would hate to turn around and feel like I haven't done anything to help myself.

I know, within time, I will be able to feel like I am no longer stuck in a place I will always feel sad or lonely in. I want to feel that I can go out and conquer each day with love, compassion, and positivity. I am just so grateful to have wonderful friends, family, and a boyfriend who care so much to support me on this journey. It can seem nerve wrecking or weird at first, but It will soon be better than what it used to be. The key is just to talk about my feelings, learn how to cope, and do more things that will boost my happiness and promote better health.