Common Things People Say When They're Introduced To The Real World

The one-liners of adulthood.

13
BrightWork

The other day as I walked to the Walgreens down the street to refill my prescription and thought to myself “I feel like an adult”. Okay so technically I’ve been an adult for a while now, I guess going to college will do that to you, but I’ve noticed that I’ve been “feeling” more adult-like ever since the end of the school year. And I know it’s because when I finished my junior year I didn’t return back home.

This has been the first summer of my life that I haven't lived under the same roof as my parents. This has been the first summer of my life where I have to share a one bedroom apartment with another person my age. This has been the first summer of my life that I can’t just walked down the hallway to see my sisters.

I’m on my own.

But it's not like I wasn’t prepared… I was trained for this summer with three years of higher education, living in old dorm rooms, and debating if pizza was acceptable for the third night in a row. I knew I was ready for life in the real world. I just didn’t know I would miss my old world so much. Because as fun as paying the bills and doing your own laundry and making appointments at the dentists office can be, it start to get really old really fast. After the first couple weeks of defending for myself in the real world, I created a list for every time my roommate or I said something adultish.

Here’s what I came up with.

“It’s laundry day again? … but… ”

“I want to eat but I don’t want to move.”

“I have to work in 2 hours. I should sleep.”

“I have to sleep in 2 hours. I should drink.”

“Why does Walmart have to be so far away?”

“Why does McDonalds have to be so far away?”

“Why does graduation have to be so close?”

“I could order my books for this semester now so I can get ahead, or I could watch more Game Of Thrones.”

“No Netflix, I am not done watching you.”

"Uhh. I am NEVER living somewhere with humidity.”

"Uhh. I am NEVER living somewhere with a lawn.”

"Uhh. I am NEVER living somewhere cold.”

“I’m so hot. I wish it was snowy and cold.”

“It’s Thirsty Thursday!”“It’s French Fry Friday!”

"I get emotional and teary eyed every time I return back to my room and see my bed."

“I don’t even remember what the classes were that I registered for this fall.”

“Frozen pizza again!!! Whoa look who’s living on the edge.”“I should work out… HA.

Now I’m a comedian.Just pour me another glass of [enter literally any alcoholic drink here].”

"Hello bed. I haven't seen you since I was crying this morning while leaving for work."

“Oh look at that… I’m out of clean clothes.

“Oh look at that… I’m out of food.

“Oh look at that… I’m out of dignity.“

"But if we stopped by the drive through we’d have more time to clean the apartment.”

“Ha, right we’re not going to actually clean the apartment.”

“These nuggets though.”

“Oh, wow you actually cleaned the apartment.”“I wonder how long it will stay clean.”

“But… McDonalds?”

“I don’t snore, you snore!”

“What was I doing again?”

“What were you doing again?”

“I wish I could get paid to sleep.”

“Sleep, have I ever told you how much I love you?”

“What is a dishwasher?”

"I’d be a pretty good professional sleeper.”

“This apartment doesn't allow pets huh? They’ll never noticed this cute puppy.”

“They’ll never noticed this cute cat... this cute snake.”

“That Subway commercial just told me to eat fresh.”

“I haven't eaten fresh in weeks?”

“Before this load of laundry I had 7 pairs of socks… now I just have one.”

“Sleeeeeeeeep! I’ve missed you so much.”

“And they’re not even matched.”