The Obsession: BTS, The K-pop Boy Band That Ruined Me For The Best.

Have you ever heard that one Korean pop song that made you rethink your life?

2891
Soompi by J.K

This is my obsession: BTS, a Korean boy band, aka Bantan Boys, Bulletproof Boy Scouts, or Beyond the Scene.

The year was 2016 as I sat at my desk top, like every other night, watching video clips on YouTube to fill the void. On one particular night, a video called Blood, Sweat and Tears kept appearing in my suggested videos from the *K-pop band, BTS. I didn’t know then, at specifically 11:30 pm at night, my eyes heavy with sleep, that my life would change. From that day on, I would be a BTS fan, and I would be known as one of their A.R.M.Y.: Adorable Representative M.C. for Youth.

*K-pop: Korean pop

In the video, the boys walk through a museum. The video cuts, and the camera zooms into their faces as the first lyric is spoken by Jimin: "Nae pi ttam nunmu/ My blood, sweat, and tears.” I felt adrenaline burst through me. The hair on my skin stood, my breath quickened, and a thousand nerves went into overdrive. To be frank, I was convulsing, foaming at the mouth and everything. I think I woke my mom up a few times, too???… I lost my ever loving mind. Before I knew it, it was like 2 in the morning, and I had downloaded a good chunk of their music. I have 24 of their songs, which isn’t a lot, but it is if you look at how much I've spent.

Ok, so let me introduce you to BTS!

Members:

Jung Kook: Main vocalist, lead dancer, sub rapper, maknae (youngest)

V: Vocalist, sub rapper, also my Lord and Savior (Like when he bites his lip. I swear, I die)

Jimin: Lead vocals, main dancer

Suga: Lead rapper

Jin: Vocals, Visual

J-Hope: Lead rapper, main dancer

Rap Monster: Main rapper, leader

Now that we've gotten that out of the way, let me tell you why BTS is the bomb.com. Their music isn’t just music, it’s a story within a story. Like this last album, “Wings”: the concept had me shook, and the thing is, it relates to other albums a few years back, like "Dark & Wild" and "The Most Beautiful Moment in Life: Young Forever". Every video and song connected to one another in some way or another. It’s like the movie Inception, but not really…and trying to connect everything is actually kind of hard. I’m still trying to understand it myself. But it’s worth it, because the more you watch, the more you understand their concept and what they’re going for. It doesn’t matter that I don’t understand what they’re saying, because when you see the dancing, the acting, the music, the tone-when they put everything together, it’s just magic…

A lot of people don’t understand what is it about K-pop that makes people love the genre of music. I don’t know about others, but I love a good boy band or girl band, and there are a lot of K-pop boy and girl bands. It just takes me back to bands like 'N Sync, Backstreet Boys, 3LW, TLC, and Spice Girls. Also, they don’t just stand there and sing, they actually have choreographed dance numbers, they sing and rap, and they perform. Honestly, K-pop is so alluring, it’s like when you find that song that makes you feel Jesus in your soul, and I’m talking like rising to the heavens. Once you hear that special K-pop song, well, you're screwed, because there’s no coming back from the K-pop fandom. Once you’re in, you're in for life.

Recently, I experienced my first K-pop concert (smile): BTS, of course! It was on another level of hype. Like, the screams were deafening. I kid you not, I literally had a headache, but all was well when BTS came on stage...seeing them in person (sigh)…to tell you how I feel, I don’t even know how to word it. I guess it was like dying and being reborn several times…yeah that’s what happened. I think I saw the heavens that night. I try not remember it too often, it makes me want to just stalk them..............

On another note, this year BTS won the Top Social Artist Award at the Billboard Music Awards, beating out Justin Bieber and Selena Gomez. They are the first Korean artists to ever do something like that! Let me tell you, I voted a lot. I just want to say we need to be open to all types of everything, and stop being close minded about everything. BTS got so much hate because people didn’t understand how they won, a Korean band that doesn’t speak English, never heard of them, or blah blah blah, close minded morons. First, I want to say it wasn’t just because of the Korean fans, but also the fans around the world. We tweeted, and called, and did everything we could to get them on that ballad. And we voted like crazy! The win was well deserved, if I do say so myself!

Also, I liked that an Asian boy band won, this was a big step for Asian culture. I hope and pray to see more Asian artists from all around the world winning “American awards".

I want anyone who reads this to try some K-pop in their life. So, I have a list of some of my personal favorites-check them out, ok! All are not bands, some are solo artists:

BTS (wink)

EXO

Shinee (my actual first love)

Red Velvet

KARD

BlankPink

BigBang

Suran

Hyukoh

Got7

Gain

Jay Park

2pm

MFBTY

Zion T.

B.A.P.

I’ve decided to write about the things I’m obsessed with called The Obsession Series. So, keep an eye out. I’ll be writing that series, as well as some other stuff!

Oh and look at my baby, V!!! Isn't he so sexy!!!