Everything We Know About the Nintendo Switch

All the conjecture, all the rumors, and all the waiting have finally come to an end.

14
Forbes.Com

On January 12, 2017, Nintendo finally came forward with a wide swath of information regarding the impending release of their newest console – The Switch.

There is so much information out there now with what feels like more and more information coming out by the day that this article is going to aim at hitting on the highlights and need-to-know bits (or what this writer considers to be the highlights and need-to-know bits). The first area to talk about is, of course, the now fully confirmed games.

Confirmed Games

Nintendo has been fairly mum over this last year or so as to what games would be featured on the new console. Naturally, we knew about the new Zelda game – Breath of the Wild – some time ago and fans figured a new Mario game would be on the way but beyond that everything else was fan conjecture and rumor or questioned leaks until recently.

The highlights of the list of games confirmed for The Switch thus far (of which the full list can be found at http://www.gamespot.com/gallery/all-the-nintendo-switch-games-confirmed/2900-1063/2/) is as follows:

(1) Mario Kart 8 Deluxe

(2) Splatoon 2

(3) Super Mario Odyssey

(4) The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild (looking to be among the launch titles for the console if not THE launch title)

(5) The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

(6) Xenoblade Chronicles 2

(7) DragonbalL Xenoverse 2

(8) Fire Emblem Warriors

(9) A new Sonic title

(10) MULTIPLE Dragon Quest games

(11) Minecraft and Minecraft Story Mode

(12) Ultimate Street Fighter II: The Final Challengers

(13) Super Bomberman R

(14) A few untitled Switch games

(15) Sonic Mania

(16) New Romance of the Three Kingdoms (Now there is a throwback!)

And many, many more! The Gamespot listing shows up to 41 images of games that have been confirmed for Nintendo’s new console. Several of which could be amazing sellers for the company. So this next console is going to be something to watch carefully.

There are a few more things to take note of when it comes to The Switch. Again, there is a lot of information that has come out and I will be hitting on what I feel are the high points of the system, as well maybe a few concerns. The majority of the information listed below comes from http://www.polygon.com/2017/1/13/14241898/nintendo-switch-details.

Highlights of The Switch

The first thing to note is that the March 3, 2017 launch price is going to be $299.99 and will come in two different bundle options: a gray-scale (the Joy-Con controllers are gray) and a ‘neon’ version (a red and a blue Joy-Con controller). The system will feature 32 GB of memory.

Now, whether or not this is a ‘base’ level for the system with more options for memory or chances to expand the memory later – I am not entirely sure. However, there is a concern regarding this aspect that I will get to in a minute. The system also has an apparent battery life of about six hours and when plugged into the dock is supposed to charge over a period of around three hours. This seems to be kind of… weak in my opinion. But then again, Nintendo consoles haven’t really ever been made for ‘hardcore’ gaming.

If you guys want to know more about specs, abilities of the controllers, etc., let me know and I will be more than glad to share what information I find at a later date. If I could get my hands on a system and Breath of the Wild, I could really go in-depth (-cough cough- Nintendo, hint hint! -cough cough- Keep dreaming J….)

There are three possible game play modes: standard (in the dock and game play on your television), the handheld mode and a ‘tabletop’ mode where players set the system up on a table with the kickstand and use the two controllers for some solo playing or multiplayer gaming (when offered).

There is going to be an online service offered, however not a whole lot is exactly known about this as of yet apart from the ‘plans’ for the service. When we know more, you’ll know more, readers.

There are going to be a few launch titles, including Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild. This is fairly typical for the last few consoles. It seems that Nintendo places their bets on a Zelda game when a new console appears. Also, note that on release Switch titles will cost $59.99 USD, same as the Wii U titles.

There are a few concerns regarding the impending release of The Switch.

Concerns over The Switch

First of all, while they have been doing a bit more in terms of marketing for this system than they did the Wii U, it still isn’t enough to dispel the fears of it being a lot like the Wii U. The customer base is very wary after the way the Wii U was handled. When you add into this mix the fact that they went all but radio silent after the initial Switch announcement, this leaves the fans biting their nails in a fit of buyer anxiety. You have the always supportive fan-girls and fan-boys and then you have the fans that are worried they may wind up wasting a lot of money.

Second of all, it appears that certain games are going to be massive. Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild is no exception.

Before I go any further here, I want to note that while there are no STORY-BASED spoilers, there are certainly content-based spoilers ahead. So read on at your risk.

My fellow Zelda fans over at ZeldaInformer got a hold of some information regarding the absolutely gorgeous collector’s edition guide for Breath of the Wild (of which you can see the image and article here http://www.zeldainformer.com/collectors-guide-for-breath-of-the-wild-unveils-the-number-of-shrines-side-quests-and-more/).

As per ZI’s information, the game features “120 shrines, 900 seed puzzles, and 76 total sidequests not counting unlockables, mini-games, easter-eggs, and optional challenges.” That’s. Huge. I read in my ambling through the Internet that supposedly the game will take up a vast majority of The Switch’s memory. Whether or not that is true, I’m not entirely sure. When I know for sure I will pass the information along to you, the gamers.

I’m also concerned about the size of the Joy-Con controllers. They look to Wii-like and appear to function in the same way. My hope is the motion-control aspect is much more refined than the Wii or Wii Motion+ controllers.

That’s pretty much the highlights of what we are looking at thus far in terms of The Switch. What do you guys think? Are you excited? Are you among the worried? Have you pre-ordered? Or are you going to wait? Let me know in the comments below, on my Twitter @JrSmith06 or over on my Facebook page, https://www.facebook.com/jeri.rae.writer.

As always, stay tuned because there will be updates as the situations above continue to develop.

Until next time!!