The New Star Wars Sees the Return of Tarkin

Through CGI magic my favorite character is back on the big screen.

25
Star Wars

With the new Star Wars film out, and the one rumor I was excited about confirmed, I wanted to dedicate this piece to my favorite character of the original Star Wars films. That character is Grand Moff Tarkin who was played by the late amazing Peter Cushing. In the original films he was basically the guy in charge of the Death Star. Apparently, in the newest film Rogue One, Tarkin is back. Through some CGI magic Peter Cushing reprises his role posthumously. But why is this guy so cool? Allow me to tell you.

1. Peter Cushing was famous before Star Wars. He was famous for his Hammer Films like The Curse of Frankenstein (1957) and Dracula (1958). All of these had multiple sequels as well. Brilliant, all of them. Please look them up.

2. Cushing only took the role of Tarkin as he thought it was something his fans would like to see him in. Oh my gawd was he right! To see Van Helsing/Victor Frankenstein as the most powerful guy in Star Wars is amazing.

3. Tarkin is literally the most powerful guy in Star Wars. I mean c'mon. He verbally bitch slaps Darth Vader! He's the only guy who tells Vader what to do...AND VADER LISTENS!

4. Tarkin was blowing up planets in his slippers. Cushing's boots were too tight and uncomfortable so when filming Tarkin was wearing slippers instead of the Empire's uniform regulation boots.

5. In the scene where Princess Leia says she could smell Tarkin from the lift, Carrie Fisher apparently had a hard time keeping it together. She found Peter Cushing to be not only charming and polite beyond measure, but he also smelled of linen and lavender. It was very hard to be angry with him or say he smelled as a result.

Those are just a few reasons as to why Tarkin is my favorite and as a result Peter Cushing is one of my favorite actors. The fact that this fantastic character is in Rogue One has just made my year almost. I mean, IT'S PETER CUSHING AS TARKIN!!! Tarkin is briefly seen in the end of Revenge of the Sith, but it was just that, brief. The rumor and apparent reviews of Rogue One say that Tarkin is back and not just to be looked at. I'm so stoked now for this film. Christmas Eve is going to be brilliant!