Is The New Harry Potter Book Worth The Read?

Some brief thoughts on the new book by J.K. Rowling.

26
Chicago Tribune

Harry Potter and The Cursed Child came out at midnight last night. It is supposedly a continuation of the Harry Potter series, except this book is written in the form of a screenplay. The book is divided into two parts, and follows the life of Harry, Ron and Hermione exactly nineteen years after the Battle of Hogwarts in addition to their children.

However, most fans aren't happy with the book for several reasons. J.K. Rowling did not write the book in its entirety. She co-wrote the book alongside John Tiffany and Jack Thorne. This makes it hard for fans to distinguish between what she actually wrote, and how much of the storyline was hers to come up with.

My friend and I decided to attend the midnight premiere of the book at our local Barnes and Nobles, and we were pretty excited. When we got there, there was a line already forming with many Harry Potter enthusiasts dressed in robes and makeshift Harry Potter glasses eagerly anticipating their books. The couldn't start selling the books until 12:01 exactly, so people passed the time by quizzing each other on Harry Potter trivia.

As I've started reading the book, I noticed the voices of Harry, Ron and Hermione are slightly different. They don't sound sound true to their characters, and from what I've read so far, the book reads like a fan fiction. Too many complex storylines and added characters doesn't make it feel like it belongs in the series.

I love J.K. Rowling and am forever grateful for the Harry Potter franchise that has been a big part of my childhood and still is, but I think they could have taken this book in another direction, such as making a prequel to the series. However, I think it's still worth the read for the die hard Harry Potter fans out there.