The New Fierce Five: An Overview Of The 2016 Olympics US Women's Gymnastics Team

These five women are ready to shatter sky high expectations for Team USA.

92
PBS

Women's gymnastics is one of the most popular events at the Summer Olympics. After the success of the "Fierce Five" 2012 Women's Team who won gold, expectations are sky high. Here is a breakdown of the five women who will represent the United States for gymnastics in Rio next month.

Alexandra "Aly" Raisman

Age: 22

Height: 5"2

Hometown: Needham, MA

One of the two familiar faces in Rio, Aly was the captain of the 2012 Women's Team in London at age 18 and received two gold medals (team and floor) and one bronze (beam). She was also a member of the US Team at 2015 World Championships in Glasgow where she received gold for team. Aly's strongest events are floor and beam. She attends Babson College where she is not affiliated with any athletics.

Gabrielle "Gabby" Douglas

Age: 20

Height: 5"2

Hometown: Virginia Beach, VA

Another familiar face from London, Gabby won two gold medals in team and all around at age 16. She is considered to be one of the strongest members of the 2012 team along with Raisman. She was a member of the US Team at the 2015 World Championships in Glasgow where she won a gold for team and silver for all around. Gabby's strongest event is all around and she stars in the Oxygen reality show "Douglas Family Gold" along with her family.

Simone Biles

Age: 19

Height: 4"9

Hometown: Columbus, OH

Despite never competing in The Olympics, Simone is the most decorated athlete on the team. She has fourteen medals total from three years of competing in the World Championships with ten gold (three all around, two team, three floor, two beam), two silver (both vault), and two bronze (balance beam and vault). She is the first African American woman to win three consecutive gold medals in all around in the World Championships. Her strongest events are floor (where she is known for her spunky style), all around, beam, and vault. She is sponsored by Nike and is expected to be one of the biggest stars in Rio.

Madison Kocian

Age: 19

Height: 5"2

Hometown: Dallas, TX

Another member of the 2015 Worlds Team where they won gold, Madison also won gold for uneven bars at Worlds. She was neck and neck with Ashton Locklear, who also exceeds in bars, for a spot on the team. Her strongest event is the uneven bars and she is committed to being on the UCLA Women's Gymnastics Team (alongside 2012 Olympic Team member Jordyn Wieber) beginnng in the fall.

Lauren "Laurie" Hernandez

Age: 16

Height: 5"0

Hometown: Old Bridge, NJ

The youngest member of the team and dubbed "the human emoji" by media for her spunk, this is the first year of Laurie's senior career and is the only athlete on the Olympic team who didn't compete in the World Championships. She was an overnight sensation at the Olympic Trials and her strongest events are floor and beam. She is committed to be on the University of Florida Women's Gymnastics Team beginning in 2018.