The Need For Positive Work Environments

The Need For Positive Work Environments

Employee Happiness Is Important

8
The Need For Positive Work Environments
Jove

The United States is a country defined by hard working people. According to CNN Money, Americans work an average of 34.4 hours a week. That is just an average, most can work an upwards of 40 plus. This is far more hours than other leading economic nations in the world. With Americans spending a lot of time at work, shouldn't we want to create positive work environments?

Recently I have been looking for a second job to help alleviate some of the college debt I am currently accumulating. I found a job at a restaurant and was luckily quickly hired. I was required to fulfill five training sessions and then would be put on the schedule. I made it through four sessions and realized I could not subject myself to that type of environment. The workers were rude, the lack of proper management caused a plethora of issues, and you could feel the negative energy radiate throughout the place.

The fact that I had a second job allowed me to make the decision of choosing personal peace of mind. However, many Americans do not have the luxury of ending employment at a certain place. Many American are stuck working in a place that they cannot stand. I remember being a little kid and peering into my mother's room and she was crying. As I got older I realized the source of most of her stress came from work.This is where the need to improve working environments comes into place.

Creating a positive work environment will not only improve an employee's wellbeing, but a company's as well. I like to use Google as an example of how a positive work environment can impact productivity. The company creates a welcoming environment to employees with perks such as free gourmet foods, allowing dogs, and free transportation. We all know how productive and successful Google is, which proves that a positive work environment means more success for a company.

So to the CEO's and all other business owners, invest in the work environment. Employees will be more willing to work hard and stay at a company if they are actually happy to clock in each day. To that employee who is in a negative environment, if you can, chose you. There is nothing selfish about choosing personal peace of mind over a job. You only get one life, you do not need to be spending it in some awful work environment. You can't take money to the grave but you can take happiness.