The Mysterious Girl.

The Mysterious Girl.

A short story

299
The Mysterious Girl.
HowardYoung.info

In a small, common town, there once was a little girl. She had long flowing dark brown hair, and spots on her face that were placed there perfectly. She would constantly walk around singing carelessly. A different tune every time. I always wonder where her joy seemed to emerge from. Being from a small town we would see each other all the time. I was always curious of her and how she always seemed so care free. I never could getup close to her to start a conversation. On a beautiful sunny day, after following my daily routine. I decided to go for a walk through the meadows. As I watched the nature around me, I caught a glimpse of movement beyond the hills. When I stood up to see what it was, I saw the young girl. She was singing and dancing in the field. I decided to say something to her since we had not ever spoken before. I Said “hello.” But she did not respond. I thought she just did not hear me. So I began to walk a little closer to her. I once again said “hello.” , she turned toward me and just looked at me with a smile on her face, but she said nothing. I said “hello, its me from the other side of this meadow.” I began to ask her who she was, but in the middle of my sentence she turned around and continued singing on her way out of the meadow. I had hoped I didn’t frighten her away, but there would be no way to tell. She obviously did not feel like talking. I was very confused as to what had just happened. As the sun began to set, I made my way back to my home, still puzzled by the event that just happened. The next day as I was on my way to work, I felt as though someone was following me. With paranoia right on my shoulder, I kept checking behind me as I walked. Feeling nervous at what or who might be following me, I hurried along. After a very long day I traveled home. I was so confused and left with nothing but questions. What is happening and why would someone be following me. I thought of many things but the only answer I came up with was involving the little girl. Maybe I had scared her and she told her parents, so now they are keeping a watch on me. Maybe it was just a fluke. Maybe I was imagining things. I felt very conflicted. How could I tell the little girl that I did not mean to frighten her. I realized that this was something I would just have to let it go. A few months later, I went for a walk again, when all of the sudden, I felt as if I was being followed again. I decided that I would not let tis pledge me any longer. As I was walking I pretended that I was clueless. I walked normal leading the follower into a cleverly though out idea. I decided that I would walk and then turn a sharp corner and hide to expose the person following me. As I prepared for the worst, I was still not prepared to find out who was following me. I took a deep breath in and waited. Soon I began to see the shadow. One of my worst fears where coming true. As the person turned the corner, I was stunned. I closed my eyes in fear of my own danger. After my eyes had been closed for awhile, I opened them timidly. Standing before me was the young girl. I was at a loss for words and once again questions came flooding through my mind. However, I could not speak. I just stared with confusion sitting behind my eyes. The little girl, smiling at me, said “hello, it’s me from the other side.”. I was shocked. Why was this little girl following me and why hadn’t she responded to me in the first place. I found it odd that she repeated almost the same sentence that I had said to her while in the meadow. Now seeing her up close, she looked so familiar to me. I just couldn’t seem to place her. I was aware that I had always seen her from a distance, but I didn’t understand why I felt as though I knew her. I still was trapped in my own mind and unable to answer her. In no time when I came to she was already gone. I just stayed where I was trying t process it all. By the time I got home I heard a beautiful voice singing Adele’s song Hello. This was a song I heard many times, however, It seemed as though I was interpreting the song differently. I looked over to see where this voice was coming from and right in front of me was the mysterious girl. I just sat down and listened to her sing. After the she finished singing I remembered where I recognized her from. She was a younger version of myself. It was me as a little girl. Adele’s song made me realize the difference in the two worlds. My younger world, and my current world. I realized how happy I had been when I was little, and how upset and different I turned out to be. The little girl looked at me and said “hello, I was afraid to answer you the other day so I just smiled and walked away. If I told you who I was, you would not have believed me. How is a young girl supposed to explain that I am you and you are me. You would just never understand. This way is much better and now you know who I am. I am a simple reflection of you and the good in you. All this was done to show you why you’ve been feeling sad and not knowing why. You weren’t aware that you were falling into a deep sadness. I couldn’t allow that. Now that you have realized on your own, I must leave.”. After that, she left. I wondered how this was possible. I decided to make a new effort to better myself. Old memories that I shoved way down in my subconscious started to come back up. The good and the bad memories were invading my mind. I finally had a way to deal with my issues and I could finally become happy again. A few years after the incident with my younger self, I noticed that I was singing carelessly and that I was back to who I was supposed to be. I realized I was looking for a way to better myself, but I did not realize that I was the answer to my own problem. Sometimes little girls know more than we do. Especially if that little girl is you.