The Monster Living In Me

The Monster Living In Me

She is talking to me in my head like always.
57

I lay in my bed,

and all I do is dread.

I know I have to get up,

but I myself know I will erupt.

The darkness has taken me over,

I knew I’d never find a four-leaf clover.

I like to think the four-leaf clover would give me some luck,

but come on we all know my life and I suck.

She is talking to me in my head like always,

is it too much to only want to see some sun rays?

Life is hard everyone will tell you,

but come on this is all I do.

I listen to the monster’s vicious words,

but all that comes out of me is nothing but slurs.

She keeps my legs stiff and same with my arms,

right at this moment, I think, “please can I cause harms?”

She won’t let me go now,

I am her slave and obviously, she wouldn’t allow.

I have the urge to j-j-j-just cry,

but nothing comes out except for a quiet sigh.

The monster keeps repeating to me,

you’re fat, you’re ugly, you’re worthless and that is all you will ever be.

I keep trying, trying, and trying to break free,

but I think I need a little help, please can’t you see?

Never mind I will just say,

in hopes to not get in your way.

I somehow make it out of bed by myself,

but still hear the monster dancing in my head and I yelp.

Cover Image Credit: An Upturned Soul

I'm The Girl Without A 'Friend Group'

And here's why I'm OK with it

536973

Little things remind me all the time.

For example, I'll be sitting in the lounge with the people on my floor, just talking about how everyone's days went. Someone will turn to someone else and ask something along the lines of, "When are we going to so-and-so's place tonight?" Sometimes it'll even be, "Are you ready to go to so-and-so's place now? Okay, we'll see you later, Taylor!"

It's little things like that, little things that remind me I don't have a "friend group." And it's been like that forever. I don't have the same people to keep me company 24 hours of the day, the same people to do absolutely everything with, and the same people to cling to like glue. I don't have a whole cast of characters to entertain me and care for me and support me. Sometimes, especially when it feels obvious to me, not having a "friend group" makes me feel like a waste of space. If I don't have more friends than I can count, what's the point in trying to make friends at all?

I can tell you that there is a point. As a matter of fact, just because I don't have a close-knit clique doesn't mean I don't have any friends. The friends I have come from all different walks of life, some are from my town back home and some are from across the country. I've known some of my friends for years, and others I've only known for a few months. It doesn't really matter where they come from, though. What matters is that the friends I have all entertain me, care for me, and support me. Just because I'm not in that "friend group" with all of them together doesn't mean that we can't be friends to each other.

Still, I hate avoiding sticking myself in a box, and I'm not afraid to seek out friendships. I've noticed that a lot of the people I see who consider themselves to be in a "friend group" don't really venture outside the pack very often. I've never had a pack to venture outside of, so I don't mind reaching out to new people whenever.

I'm not going to lie, when I hear people talking about all the fun they're going to have with their "friend group" over the weekend, part of me wishes I could be included in something like that. I do sometimes want to have the personality type that allows me to mesh perfectly into a clique. I couldn't tell you what it is about me, but there is some part of me that just happens to function better one-on-one with people.

I hated it all my life up until very recently, and that's because I've finally learned that not having a "friend group" is never going to be the same as not having friends.

SEE ALSO: To The Girls Who Float Between Friend Groups