The Misconceptions Of Introverts

The world of an introvert is definitely an interesting one. You're labelled shy and quiet when you're someone who doesn't like to socialize much. An introvert's energy is drained by social encounters and energized by time spent alone. Introverts can often be misunderstood, so here are some misconceptions about the life of an introvert:

Introverts don't like to talk. This is probably one of the worst ones, just because we don't like social encounters as much as the next person doesn't mean we don't like to talk. When I'm with people I'm comfortable with I most likely won't stop talking. If you start a conversation with me about something I'm interested in, good luck I probably won't stop talking about it.

Introverts don't like people. This misconception while understandable is still wrong. Introverts value close friendships, where extroverts are pretty much friends with everyone. I can easily count on one hand my close friends, but I'm still open to making more friends. Introverts tend to be loyal friends that stick around for life.

Introverts don't like to go out in public. No, just no. Introverts like to go out in public, believe me, it's just not as much as an extrovert would. Introverts are observant and perceptive people who take in their surroundings before wanting to go home.

Introverts always want to be alone. This misconception is complete nonsense. I'm completely comfortable with my own thoughts but I'm also comfortable with my friends. Introverts look inward on themselves, paying attention to our thoughts and emotions. Introverts want to share their thoughts with someone. We crave authentic and sincere connections.

Introverts are weird. Okay, I understand this one. Introverts don't like to follow the crowd. We're individualists who follow our own paths. We think for ourselves and often challenge the norm. We don't make decisions based on what is popular or trendy at that moment.

Introverts don't know how to relax and have fun. Relaxing for an introvert means being at home not in a busy, public setting. If there is too much noise and talking going on around an introvert, they will most likely shut down. But that also doesn't mean we don't like to have fun. Fun for us is doing something creative, reading a book, or watching Netflix.

Introverts can change their ways and become Extroverts. Not likely. Without introverts, we would live in a world with every few thinkers. It's more about the technique used to approach an extrovert and an introvert. Introverts can't simply "fix themselves" and deserve respect.

Being an introvert isn't a bad thing, and while it may sometimes be a challenge to deal with, I wouldn't want it any other way. By being an introvert, I feel like I know myself a lot better than some of my peers know themselves. But that doesn't mean being an extrovert is any worse. We're all just trying to find ourselves, one way or another.