The Memory Jar

The Memory Jar

Keep the big experiences close and the smaller ones closer

35
The Memory Jar
Rachel Rinehimer

Ever since I was a little girl, I have obtained many amazing memories from both my friends and my loved ones. Some of these memories were positive, giving me the courage to pursue my dreams and become the woman I am today........and others....not so positive. Although it may seems that one bad memory can destroy even the slightest bit of happiness, those negative memories are there to teach us. They are there to teach us that there is always time to be who we are and to achieve greatness. Throughout my college experience, I have realized that savoring the good experiences in life are what really help me get through even the toughest of days. Recently, I have found myself doing something that I have not done for a very long time...............looking through my memory jar.

For my high school graduation party, I wanted to do something fun and unique to remember all of the great times that I have had with all of my friends and family. I discovered the idea of a memory jar one day while I was scrolling through my Pinterest page. When I first read about the idea, I knew that that was what I wanted at my party. From then on, I worked hard to construct the memory jar and make sure that I had an adequate amount of paper for all of my guests to write at least one thing. The rules of the memory jar were simple: to write your favorite memory with me and put it in the jar so that I could remember all of the good times that I have had with my friends and family so far. This idea turned into a major success. After my graduation party, I ended up with over 50 different memories to read while I was at college.

Being that my college classes are decently stressful (and anxiety is a real thing), I have found myself looking at my jar of memories quite often. Being able to read about all of the good experiences that I have had with everyone brings me so much joy, especially during times of deep anxiety. There are memories that make me laugh, cry tears of joy, and everything in between. There was one particular memory though that really seemed to peak my interest. It was a small memory, but nonetheless, it was significant. It was a memory written by my Dad, however, it wasn't a memory written by him......it was written by me. The "memory" that my Dad had placed in the jar was an old Valentine's Day card that I had hand-made for my Dad when I was in kindergarten. Half of it was even written in Spanish because I had just learned how to say "I love you" in my class. As I carefully glanced at the little Valentine's Day card, I couldn't help but get an overwhelming feeling of happiness. I started to tear up, just as I had done when I left for college.......I then started to cry. It was at this moment that I realized just how great of a life I really have and how blessed I am to be able to have the opportunities that I have today.

As you can see, it's the little things in life, those small memories, that can have the greatest impact on your life. You need to live out your life to the fullest and not be worried about what the future may bring. Without those good times, those good memories, in your life to fall back on and remember, you will find yourself lost and in a dark place. I thoroughly recommend starting a memory jar. It has helped me understand the significance of true friendship and how the little things in life can play a great role in who you will become.

"Take care of your memories. For you cannot relive them"
-Bob Dylan