The Media Needs a Day Off

The Media Needs a Day Off

Why is it always "Breaking News"

130
The Media Needs a Day Off
MSend

Right now, we are in a time where the media Is under extreme scrutiny. It has become unclear what platform we should trust for news and the accuracy of the information. Just like human nature, the media is pressured to provide answers quicker than we can say, “did you hear what happened in __”? With extreme pressure on the modern day media to perform in an efficient and accurate manner like society requests, falsehood arises.

In instances of uncertainty, humans need answers. We need to know who the suspect is, who is hurt, the location of the incident, the picture of the suspect, and last but not least; when can society become appeased. We need answers and we need them now. Before victim’s parents are informed, we are getting the news updates sent directly to our lock screens. The media is not to blame; they are fulfilling their latent function. Maybe us eager humans aren’t completely to blame either? The fast-paced environment we find ourselves consumed in waits for no one, and will not wait to find out the news.

In an era of the 24-hour news cycle, media platforms are pressed to fulfill their streams all around the clock. Often leading to soft news or, media that is primarily based off of topics such as commentary, lifestyle, and entertainment. With such pressure to deliver information non-stop suddenly every story is becoming “Breaking News”.

Since media holds such a strong presence in the average citizen’s life, the repercussions are strong as well. Some corporations have looked into the idea of less emphasis on suspects of crimes, in an attempt to decrease the ‘hype’ perpetrators receive on national television after a crime. The effects of seeing someone who committed a crime being talked about over an over is damaging and can inspire and promote others.

However, the imamate need of citizens to put a face to names overrides the potential chance to execute this idea. Many of us can recall stories changing from when we initially read them, often writers have to “gap fill” due to a minimal amount of evidence present at the time of reporting.

While I am not even clear on the solution to this, keeping these in mind while reading and consuming media is important. Initial stories may not be 100% accurate or similar to the story five hours later.