The Luxury of Visiting Home

The Luxury of Visiting Home

It's The Little Things
14

Now that we’re in the homestretch of the fall semester, a.k.a. Thanksgiving break, many of us are headed back home for the holidays. I don’t know about you, but for me, home is where there are a full fridge and the Wi-Fi works. However, free food and free Wi-Fi aren’t the only things I look forward to when making a visit to home, sweet home. It’s surprisingly one of the things we take for granted most after moving out. A few things I love about coming home are...

1. Non-cheap toilet paper

Before moving out, I didn’t even know there was such thing as cheap toilet paper. I mean, I obviously knew of the different brands, but little did I know that there were so much design and detail to each. I learned my lesson the hard way soon after my first toilet paper trip. Note to self: spend the extra $2 on nicer toilet paper; it’s worth it.

2. A full fridge

Admit it, going grocery shopping with mom means low-key going grocery shopping for yourself. My mom is always thrilled when I go grocery shopping with her while home, because she typically goes alone. That being said, I see it as a win-win situation for the both of us.

3. Homemade meals

For once, I can come home and not have to worry about how I'm going to feed myself that evening. If that’s not a sigh of relief, then I don’t know what is. Cereal and eggs get old after awhile, and it’s nice to have some home cooked leftovers to take back with you as well.

4. A clean room

I can’t stand being rushed in the morning and coming home to a messy room after class. One thing I love about going home is the simplicity of my old room. There isn’t clutter everywhere, because there’s no stuff previously there to make clutter.

5. You feel so loved

I blame my awesome family for me being such a homebody. I love the way my parents’ faces light up when I come home. Whether it’s been a week or months since I’ve seen them, they always make it known how much I was missed. I cannot thank them enough for making home my favorite place to visit. To anyone who still lives with their parents, don’t take this time for granted. Whether you’d like to admit it or not, you’ll need them the most once you’ve moved a distance away.

6. Smothering dogs

There isn’t anything much better than watching your dog’s face light up as you walk through the front door. This is when it really hits you that you’re finally home. If, for some reason, your family doesn’t have a warm welcoming waiting for when you get home, you can always count on your dog(s).

7. Working Wi-Fi

Can I get a HALLELUJAH! If I had a dollar for every time the Wi-Fi stopped working at my apartment, I’d be rich by now.

8. Mini Vacation

I tend to pretend I’m on my own little "vaycay" since I’m not in the heart of where I go to school. I have to admit, I get a little lazy and tend to ignore all of my priorities while visiting home. Sometimes, we all need that down time to block out the chaos and the busy schedules of our lives to truly enjoy quality time with our loved ones.