The Loss Of A Teammate

The Loss Of A Teammate

A team is a puzzle. When a piece goes missing, the entire team is broken.

749
The Loss Of A Teammate
Eureka High School

When you are a part of a team, it becomes a part of you. You’re with the others for the majority of your week, day in and day out. Your team is not the team without one person, just like you are not yourself without your teammates. No matter who you are closer with on the team, you can be sure that you are able to count on each and every one of them to be there for you with their never ending support. Your team becomes your brothers or your sisters.

A team shares so many inside jokes, laughter, hard times, challenges, support, motivation, sweat, tears, blood, plays, chants, morals, and so much more. You create a bond that cannot be broken, and you cannot live without it. The motto of the team becomes your life motto, molding you into the person you are today.

As much as outsiders can be there to support you, you just can’t come to peace with the fact that your teammate is gone. You’re broken. It is a very hard idea to grasp because just yesterday, they were running beside you at practice or in the game. Better yet, they were encouraging you to strive to meet your goals, on and off of the field, court, mats, dance floor, etc.

The first reaction you felt is disbelief. You tried calling or texting them as if they would reply because you are just living out a bad dream. In fact, even weeks after losing them, you still go to practice as if they are going to just show up.

You reflect. You play back the memories, the joys, the laughter, the firsts you shared together because you didn’t know the lasts were coming just as quickly. The good times bring you so much happiness that you seek to remember more and more in search of comfort.

You must keep pushing through. Life goes on, and as much as you knew they enjoyed the game, you must carry them on your shoulders with you, playing the game with a new meaning.

Your team becomes bonded in a newer way than before, trying to merge the piece that is now gone. Although there be a fresh bond, the bond is built on that one teammate.

It may be hard to get back into the game that you and your teammate shared. Visiting the field, picking up the equipment, motivating others knowing they are missing a piece too, is hard to juggle. But the factor that is now always in the back of your mind is that you are playing for them. Suit up and play the game. Play the game hard. And play for them.

Losing a teammate is something that sticks with you forever. The team you experienced it with will share memories and a bond that you would have never imagined having.

Carry the memories of your lost teammate with you. Hold them in your heart. Seek refuge in God, knowing He will provide you with comfort. Be reminded that life is not to be taken for granted. Live passionately.

Part of them is living through you.

You have gained a new guardian angel. An angel that will be with you on and off the field.

There may be a piece missing from the puzzle, but that piece is in your heart now. Carry it with meaning, being a light in spite of your fallen teammate.