'The Legend of Korra' Is Coming To Netflix, And Avatar Fans, 'You Gotta Deal With It'

Korra's story is just as important as Aang's, and it's about time people started to appreciate it more.

43
The Legend of Korra show

Ever since "Avatar: The Last Airbender" was added to Netflix this year, fans new and old have come together to praise the show for the masterpiece it is. From Iroh's words of wisdom to Zuko's impactful redemption arc, "The Last Airbender" has it all, and it has stood the test of time as a show that everyone who watches it can't help but fall in love with. That, paired with the nostalgia many of us have from growing up with it, has solidified its place as one of the best cartoons of this generation, if not the best.

However, with discussions about "The Last Airbender" come the inevitable mentions of its less popular sequel series, "Avatar: The Legend of Korra."

Telling the story of Korra, the Avatar after Aang, this show spans four seasons and was recently announced to be arriving on Netflix on August 14. While some have shown excitement about this, others are more skeptical. This show isn't quite as well-received as "The Last Airbender," but I think we should give it a chance this time around. Korra's story is just as important as Aang's, and it's about time people started to appreciate it more.

One of the main criticisms surrounding "The Legend of Korra" is that it feels so different from "The Last Airbender," which can likely be attributed to the fact that the sequel takes place seventy years after its predecessor.

It makes sense for civilization to have developed new technology and evolved past how it was before. In fact, it would be odd if progress had stagnated in the seventy years between Aang and Korra. Sure, it's definitely strange to see the characters driving around in cars and taking photographs at first, but it adds to the already expansive world-building of the Avatar universe and makes it feel more real, in a sense. Plus, it gives us an excuse to see pictures of grown-up Aang. I call that a win!

Another common critique is that Korra isn't as good of an Avatar as Aang, which I find completely absurd.

Korra is an incredible character and an equally incredible Avatar. What I love most about her development is that it's nearly the opposite of Aang's. He starts off running away from his destiny, while right from the start Korra owns it with pride. She even has most of the elements mastered in the first episode! Aang's journey helped him learn to embrace his destiny as the Avatar until he was ready to face the Fire Lord and save the world by the end. Meanwhile, Korra's journey shows that being the Avatar isn't all fun and games and that there's more to it than flashy bending. Lots of people can relate to her struggle of starting out as a prodigy, only to be faced with the reality that raw talent alone won't get you far in life.

It's fascinating to see her growth over the course of the show, and I can't wait for more people to watch it for themselves.

I'll be the first to admit that "The Legend of Korra" has its fair share of flaws. But, then again, so does "The Last Airbender." Every piece of media has bits and pieces that people won't like, but those aren't what matter. Korra's story is one about accepting and adapting to change, so we should follow in her footsteps and do the same as we say goodbye to Aang and hello to an Avatar who is just as deserving of our love.

After all, as Korra herself once said: "I'm the Avatar and you gotta deal with it!"