The Last Generation To Remember 9/11

The Last Generation To Remember 9/11

It's been 15 years since America was shaken by the tragedy of Sept. 11, 2011.

242
The Last Generation To Remember 9/11
TopInfo Post

Fifteen years...It's been 15 years since America was shaken by the tragedy of Sept. 11, 2011. On this horrific day, 2,996 people lost their lives...and America watched it helpless from their televisions. Adults at the time remember the horror very well. They knew what an awful group of humans it would take to do this to someone. They knew what was happening. What about the kids? What do the children remember about school that day? How has it affected their lives? These are the stories of the last generation to remember 9/11.

Taylor Ward, 1st Grade

I was a first grader at Rogersville City School in Rogersville, Tenn. I have very few memories left from that age but this is one day I will never forget. When I arrived at school that morning everything seemed to be normal. My teacher acted normal, my friends acted normal, everything was fine. Right after announcements, my teacher takes the television and turns it facing only her while we continued to work. I remember looking up from my work and seeing her face turn white as snow as she rushed to the bathroom. When she came back her eyes were puffy and she turned the television facing us. Without the noise on we watched what appeared to me to be some sort of really scary television show. Little did I know, this was happening in real time in New York City. Mrs. Thames calmly explained to us that something bad had happened in New York and we were going to have to be extra careful the rest of the day. Leaving school that day, there were tons of police officers and teachers around every corner basically following us until we were safely in our parent's cars. I don't think my mother has ever held me tighter than she did in that moment.

Malori Torey, 1st Grade

"On 9/11/2001 I was in 1st grade at Fisher Elementary School in Redford, Michigan. I remember saying the Pledge of Allegiance and sitting down. All of a sudden, our principal came on the PA system asking all the teachers to check their email. My teacher, Mrs. Richie was very quiet, took a deep breath and continued to teach. By lunch time, another announcement came on informing us of indoor recess. We were none the wiser. The day continued on pretty normally, but being picked up was weird. There were a lot more parents there than usual; my mom and grandpa were there. My mom was pretty quiet the whole way home. When we walked through the front door, the news was on and it was the first time I saw the footage of the planes crashing. I remember asking my mom, "Who did that?" She said, "Someone very hateful." Her and dad hugged us a bit tighter that night. I remember a week or so after being at breakfast with my family and they were discussing going to war. I asked my grandfather if the bad guys won. He smiled and said to not worry because we were protected by the best soldiers."

Ashley Bigard, Kindergarten

"I went to Emma Elementary in Asheville, North Carolina. I remember we were sitting in our room and our teacher took a phone call on her personal cell phone. Her face flushed and she turned on the TV. We watched the building burning as both planes had crashed. None of us knew what was going on because the TVs didn't have sound since the school controlled that. I remember she turned off the television pretty quickly so we wouldn't get scared. Then I remember them coming over the intercom and canceling recess and I was mad! I didn't know why and all I wanted was to go outside and play. Obviously, afterward I found out and was horrified, but I couldn't completely comprehend since I was so young."