The Joy of Becoming an Aunt

The Joy of Becoming an Aunt

How can I have so much love for such a tiny person

85
The Joy of Becoming an Aunt
Staci McCoy

Oh, the joy of being an aunt! Where must I begin? It seems appropriate to first introduce my niece, Analeigh, and her parents, Jonny and Danika. To vaguely describe her I would say she is cute; to fully express my emotions for my niece, I would point out that she beams with an adorable, dainty and minuscule smirk. I would point out the way she shimmies her tiny toes and tiny fingers while she stretches out. I would point out her sweet babbled version of communicating. I could point out never-ending details I find so lovable about my new niece.

From the moment my sister married six years ago, I anticipated becoming an aunt. My suspence increased with every passing year. All hope seemed lost when they brought home a second dog, and I wondered how much longer I would wait. Impatiently, I joked about the possibility of my unmarried siblings having children first. I am thankful to say this scenario did not occur. My sister, Danika, sprung the news upon us nearly two months into her pregnancy. The expected level of excitement was immensely exceeded. The pure euphoria in my mom’s face when she discovered she was a grandmother is still invaluable. My sister’s glowing smile was immeasurable. I have never encountered such a joyful moment.

The following eight months of my sister's pregnancy flew right by. Living in different states resulted in numerous updates via family group messages and phone calls. Every conversation somehow circled back to the baby. Because my sister and her husband chose to not know the baby's gender, I avoided a preference. It drove me crazy being unable to buy loads and loads of darling baby girl clothes or adorable baby boy clothes. Watching my sister unwrap her baby shower gifts made it feel so real. My family inched closer and closer to our first grand baby.

Finally, the waiting ceased. Analeigh Margaret Jordan- 7 lbs. 14 0z.- entered the world at 4 in the morning on May 23rd. My mother left immediately to make the long drive to Kansas where my sister lived, but the rest of my family suffered waiting two weeks to meet our tiny angel. I stared at every picture and showed everyone I saw. Analeigh was the most precious thing I ever laid my eyes on. It drove me absolutely insane waiting to see her.

Two weeks later, my twin sister and I road-tripped alongside our best friend to Kansas with full bags and fuller hearts. The twelve-hour drive was completely worth it once I first saw Analeigh. After two weeks of countless pictures, videos and FaceTime sessions, I finally held her tight in my arms. She cuddled into my chest and fell fast asleep. I wish I could've snuggled her forever. I found it impossible to keep from smiling when I gazed at her. Her spit bubbles and squeals charmed me with sweetness. Every time she curled her hand around my finger my heart melted. I never fathomed that anything could be so adorable and it broke my heart to leave her.

It is beyond frustrating to live so far away from people you love dearly. My whole family whines day and night about not being able to see Analeigh. I nag my sister to send more videos and photos because I can never have enough. Every time I walk past a baby store I have to restrain myself from excessive purchases. When BabyGap holds sales, a small part of my bank account cries, but it's worth it when she wears such adorable clothing. It amazes me to see her growing and changing so quickly. When I gaze at pictures or videos of Analeigh, I have to stop myself from tearing up because I love her so much.

One of the amazing things about becoming an aunt is being able to watch your sister become a mother. Danika kept such courage and positivity throughout her entire pregnancy. She and her husband stepped out of the ordinary young couple phase and stepped into parenthood. Danika continued working until the final stage of her pregnancy, and she has been blessed with the opportunity to stay at home, now, with her baby girl. Seeing my sister hold Analeigh evokes an indescribable feeling in me. She surpasses the ordinary expectations of motherhood and will continue to do so. I could not be more proud of my sister as a new mom.

Becoming an aunt taught me how beautiful new life is and how much of an impact it has. It’s hard to imagine that a child has ever been loved as much as Analeigh is loved. She has incredible parents and grandparents who would sacrifice anything for her. I save every single picture and watch every single video innumerable times. She changes a little more every day, and I am impatiently awaiting the next time I hold her. I am astonished that God blessed my family with an angel like Analeigh.