The Introduction To My Working Mind

The Introduction To My Working Mind

The beginning of our journey together in this world.

9
The Introduction To My Working Mind

My name is Marc Propst. I am a sophomore at Lynchburg College in Lynchburg, Virginia. I am currently a double major in political science and history. I have plans of becoming president of the United States. I know you hear that and you think, "What the hell, is he a child?" No, I am an adult with the actual goal of changing this country and world. I want to change what has been creating so many issues by asking the hard questions and doing what is right to make sure that people have an equal chance at life. I want to help people be able to pursue happiness in this country.

Growing up, you learn about how America is the greatest country on Earth and that we are very lucky to be in this country. While this may be true, I also learned that we like to help everyone else be what America is: the shining example of freedom and "democracy," the beacon on the hill, the light in the darkness. America’s "exemplary legacy" is spoon fed to the generations growing up in her schools so that there is no question about her "skeletons in the closet."

As I go through my college career, I learn that there are many skeletons that America has, that no one likes to talk about because it often means that America is not as good as it is always known to be. Examples include systemic racism, unequal pay, an education system that is on the low end of the spectrum, among many others. Americans do not want to talk about the hard issues because they should not exist in 2016. Here is the thing: it does exist, and it is all around the country.

There have been many, many protests that have been happening all around the country, both peaceful and violent. I do not condone the violent protests but I do understand their anger and their frustration about the inaction of the country in working to fixing the problems that there are in the country. Progress has not been seen within the country and this gives the anger more substance to manifest. This is also the same within the college. The college is a microcosm of what has been going on within the country.

There have been many incidents that have been going on in the college that many people just do not know about. On Wednesday, September 28, there was an open forum that many students who were affected by the different incidents were a part of; there were also many faculty and staff including President Garren that all listened to the problems that have been going on in the college for years. I moderated the event with many amazing organizations that helped to get all the issues out there for everyone to listen. One incident was, “N****** aren’t welcome here,” which was written on a note to a freshman student. Another freshman student had taken a picture that showed, “My favorite Halloween treat is candy coon.” This is and should always be unacceptable and the statement that I will always say is if it is found that anyone is using hate speech or doing anything that is discriminatory will be both punished and they will be educated that the world is filled with many different people of all different traits. This should not be tolerated at all. I will work every day to help those who are unequal become equal at this college because it is a part of what the college is and should be giving to their current and prospective students.

So this is the introduction to my mind and my views to the world. I hope that you join me in the discussion and join me in reading these articles that I write as I want to give you the truth and the perspective of both a student and a practicing political scientist. Thank you for taking the time to read this article. I hope that you have a great day today.