The In-Between

The In-Between

Sometimes I don't know if I have what it takes to be an adult.
4

When I was a little girl I remember being so eager to be a "grown-up." I thought about what it would be like to do whatever I wanted and to live by myself. I had this thought in my mind that one day I would wake up and magically be an adult. Now that I am actually in the process of becoming an adult, nothing really seems all that magical. I am starting to think about careers and about what it will be like to move out of my parents' home and start a new life on my own. I am anxiously awaiting these changes but am also extremely scared of them. I do not know what is to come and I don't like being in this "in-between" stage.

This stage meaning that I am not technically an adult but I am also not a child anymore. I am not even a teenager. Some days I wake up and don't know what I am. But this is normal. I think.

I know now that me becoming an adult will not happen overnight, and I have learned to start trusting the process. I am thrilled when I can schedule an appointment on my own, but sometimes I wish that I could just have my mom schedule them for me for the rest of my life. I enjoy being at college and doing my own laundry but there are times when I wish I didn't have to. Growing up is something that we all have to do eventually, we just all do it at our own pace.

So, fellow young adults stuck in this "in-between" stage wanting to get out and be on your own but also longing for the comfort and security of what once was, you are not alone. We are all just trying to become real, functioning adults and we have to be there to support each other. I think we can do it! It just takes time.