The Importance of Spontaneity

The Importance of Spontaneity

If you think adventure is dangerous, try routine - it's lethal!

2754

If you think adventure is dangerous, try routine, it is lethal.

Are you thrilling or boring? Are your friends the type that sit around and talk about doing something or do they get up and just go do it? The best is when you find a friend or person that is just as spontaneous as you. When you do this the possibilities are endless.

Spontaneity is often something that frightens people. Why? Because many people are scared of the unknown.

Though being spontaneous is something done without any planning, being spontaneous does take practice for some. Some people are definitely born with it, while others develop an affinity for it later in life. Like any good skill you must practice it before it is perfect.

People that are spontaneous have a sparkle to them. You can see the need for adventure in their eyes. They don’t like to let moments pass them by and see regrets only in missed opportunities. They are the people who don’t live day to day but live for each day.

Don’t make a list of things you want to do. Say one thing and do it. Last week a friend and I were relaxing contemplating what the weekend had in store for us. That’s when we just decided, “Let’s drive to the Grand Canyon.” Because I had practiced my spontaneity skills in the past I knew exactly how to execute this “spontaneous” plan and make it a successful one. I quickly realized if we left in the next hour we would run into dinner time so we should grab some food for the car ride and then I figured since it was a weekend there was a chance that we might have a hard time finding a hotel so best if we brought pillows and blankets for the car just in case. In less then 30 minutes we were on our way to the Grand Canyon. Both of us enjoyed our first visit to the Grand Canyon and what made it even more thrilling was, once we got there, it was exhilarating to think that 24 hours prior we had no idea we would be right there staring at this beautiful scenery.

“Courage and willingness to just go for it, whether it is a conversation or a spontaneous trip, or trying new things is a very attractive quality" -Alanis Morissette

The benefits of being the most spontaneous you are keeping your mind sharp, experiencing less stress, finding inspiration anywhere, having to force yourself outside your comfort zone, and allowing you to experience beauty you may have never been able.

Now, I get it, not everyone wants to, or can, be the kind of person that can plan a trip to the Grand Canyon in 30 minutes and that is okay. You don’t have to be a spontaneous person. Just don’t be a person that lets life pass them by before you have a chance to enjoy the ride.