The Importance of Money vs. Your Major

The Importance of Money vs. Your Major

Choose to be happy.

14
The Importance of Money vs. Your Major

Wait a minute, I'm in college now how is money still effecting my major? It always is and will continue to be. Remember when you were applying to colleges and you were looking at your scholarships, money you already had saved, and your loans? Okay, well sorry to say this doesn't stop after that, if you haven't already noticed. Money versus your major is a huge topic in colleges across the nation. Will I be able to make a certain amount of money by pursuing this major? Can I pay off my loans in x amount of years with this major? If I major in this rather than that, will I get a bigger scholarship?

The truth of the matter is: Major in what you love.

If you really love it, you would do whatever it takes to keep it in your life. That could mean going on the internet and searching for outside scholarships. That could mean going to a school that costs less money but still offers you the same major. That could mean working 20-40 hour weeks all summer long and working during the school year to scrap up extra money to put towards tuition.

Let's look a little closer at it.

You don't want to be stuck in a job you don't like or pursuing a major you don't like. We all know what it's like to be unhappy. Can you imagine that feeling arising every day you go to work? Can you imagine that feeling every time someone asks you how your job is or how is school going or how you like your major?

Unhappiness is not a primary feeling. Yes, we all pretty much have to feel unhappy at times, but you don't need to stay unhappy.

Now let's flip the other way.

You are in your dream career. Can you imagine being happy and excited to go to work? Can you imagine being able to show all your excitement about your major at all those family gathering when everyone asks you how is school? Can you imagine smiling from your work?

If you could choose to be happy, why would you choose to be anything less?

Yes, the money aspect is very important, but so is your wants and dreams. I am not saying that we should all put aside the issue of money versus our major. What I am saying is that you should go for what you love. Choose to be happy every day. If you really love what you want to do/what you do then you will make it work. No doubts about it.

If you love what you do, you will never work a day in your life.