The Importance of Grandma

The Importance of Grandma

"Grandmas are just antique little girls."

1139
The Importance of Grandma
unsplash.com

Being a college student, it’s really hard to balance everything. I’m sure we all know that. Often times, I forget to do my laundry for a week or run out groceries. But hey, it happens to the best of us. There is always one thing that keeps me going: family. I talk to my parents on a daily basis, and we’re incredibly close. But the family I don’t see very often is the family I take for granted. My grandparents- and especially my grandmas.

Grandmas are a special thing in this world. I’m lucky enough to still have both of mine, and I easily forget that. I get caught up in life and don’t call them enough. But when I stop and think about it, my grandmas are the absolute best. I’m so incredibly grateful.

Grandmas love you unconditionally, and they already did before you were even born. They spoil you with gifts and love- just because they can. For grandmas, you are their pride and joy right after their own children. And the love that comes from a grandmother is absolutely irreplaceable. It’s crazy to think about being a grandmother one day, but I know that when that day comes, I will be the happiest grandmama out there. I can’t wait to spoil my little grandbabies the way my grandmas spoiled me. Not even spoiling you with presents, even just the amount of love they always give. Grandmas are proud of you no matter what you accomplish, and they’ll be right there to send you sweet cards in the mail for every occasion. When you move to college, they’ll be the first to ask your address. Grandmas always have cute stories about when you were a baby, or if you really want the dirt, stories of the crazy things your mom or dad did when they were little. Grandmas will tell you, “You’d look cute in a paper sack.” I know mine does. Grandmas have sweet nicknames for you, ever since you were a baby.

Grandmas are nothing to take for granted, and I am still learning that. If you’re lucky enough to still have at least one of your grandmas like I am, please please please show them you love them, too. While we can. I hate to think about it, but I know that one day they’ll be gone, or I will. And I don’t want to look back wishing I had called them more or sent them a letter back in the mail. Grandma, if you reading this, I love you a whole lot. And I could never thank you enough for the unconditional love you’ve given my mama and daddyo, along with that same love for my brothers and me.