The Importance Of Ellen DeGeneres' Response To Mississippi's New Law

Ellen advocates for more love and less hate...which is something we should all try.

34
www.Eonline.com

In response to the governor of Mississippi recently signing into law a bill that allows businesses to deny service to gay couples based on the employer's religious beliefs, Ellen DeGeneres offered hope to her fans by reminding everyone that she once lost everything because of her sexuality.

"If you're in Mississippi or North Carolina or anywhere and you're saddened based on the fact that people are judging you on who you love, don't lose hope. I was fired for being gay and I know what it feels like. I lost everything, but look at me now," DeGeneres said.

This law has received a lot of backlash because many people believe that it allows for state-sanctioned discrimination.

Gov. Phil Bryant said he was signing the bill "to protect sincerely held religious beliefs and moral convictions," and also argued that legislation will allow people to exercise their religious freedom, reported by The Washington Post.

Because of her notoriety and difficult past due to her sexuality, DeGeneres is the perfect person to provide commentary on the atrocities of this new legislation.

She began her video by simply defining what the bill even was to ensure all viewers were on the same page.

"Under the law, if you say for religious reasons, you can deny people marriage, adoption and foster care services; fire or refuse to employ them; and decline to rent or sell them property."

In response to reading the details of the bill, DeGeneres said, "I'm not a political person, but this is not politics, this is human rights."

This statement should be the statement of the century. She's right...we aren't talking about politics anymore. We aren't trying to decide how much taxes should be raised, we are talking about real people being discriminated against for being who they are. This statement is crucial because everyone is so wrapped around politics, and supporting a candidate. But maybe we should all stand back for a second and look at the bigger picture. Put yourself in the shoes of others and try walking a mile in them. Maybe if Gov. Phil Bryant had put himself in the perspective of the LGBT community, he would have understood the madness behind signing HB 1523 into law.

"I'm disappointed for several reasons. First of all, Mississippi is the only state I know how to spell. Second of all, that is the definition of discrimination and it is something the Supreme court already ruled on when they made marriage a right for everyone," DeGeneres said.

And of course, since she is Ellen DeGeneres and one of the funniest people on earth, she added a little humor to this grave topic.

"The Supreme Court said the same thing Diana Ross said many years ago...stop in the name of love and now Mississippi is saying I don't second that emotion," she said.

Love should be the only thing that matters. Love should be the driving force for everything. Our country, our world would be nothing without love. How can you judge people based on who they love?

DeGeneres offered some reminders that should go viral and stick with civilians everywhere forever.

She said, "There's already so many inequalities in the world: women's right, gender pay gap,and racism. I think we need to remember we are more similar than we are different and we all want the same things...love, acceptance, kindness and one of those new Tesla's."

If you have a heart and a working conscience, then you know this legislation is discriminatory, and our job as civilians is to advocate against it.

"I advocate for less hate and more love, less tearing apart and more coming together, less sitting and more dancing," DeGeneres said as a closing reminder.

Link to video:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/ellen-slams-mi...