The Icon, The Legend: Prince

The Icon, The Legend: Prince

A short walk down memory lane for lifelong Prince fans.

31
The Icon, The Legend: Prince
Little by Listen

Often times when a person passes away, funeral arrangements are made, people are called, and the rest of the world carries on. Prince Rogers Nelson did not die at 10:07 a.m. last Friday, since everyone knows a legend never dies. I have made it a priority to seek out the goodness in life, and to hear and see as much art as possible. Listening to a Prince song is equivalent to listening to about one hundred other artists who could never amount to such an inspiring and vivacious soul. Take a walk down memory lane and remember some of the most jaw dropping moments of this sensational icon.

1. Purple Rain

Prince's 1984 album Purple Rain sold more than 13 million copies in the U.S. and spent 24 consecutive weeks at No. 1 on the Billboard 200 chart. The film of the same name won an Academy Award and grossed more than $80 million. In the U.S. Rolling Stone magazine, it was ranked the second-best album of the 1980's and 76th on their list of the 500 Greatest Albums of All Time. The debut show was a benefit concert for the Minnesota Dance Theater.

2. Batman

Prince was asked by Batman director Tim Burton to record several songs for the upcoming live-action adaptation. Prince went into the studio and produced an entire nine-track album that Warner Bros. released on June 20, 1989. Batman peaked at No.1 on the Billboard 200, selling 4.3 million copies. The single "Batdance" topped the Billboard and R&B charts.

3. Induction into Rock and Roll Hall of Fame

Deemed as his greatest guitar solo ever, Prince rocked the house when inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 2004.

4. Superbowl XLI

Prince performed at the Super Bowl XLI halftime show in Miami, Florida on February 4, 2007. A true artist, Prince marketed himself at Superbowl XLI as little as possible, and instead paid tribute to those who came before him such as Queen, Bob Dylan, and Chuck Berry. He did however, end with his iconic Purple Rain, as actual rain poured down on the stage that night. Flawlessly, Prince rocked the stadium. Below is the performance.

I will never forget watching one of my favorite childhood shows, hearing his name, and researching who he was. After that, I was able to recognize true music more than ever, and my charismatic devotion to rock, blues, and soul. Your name resonates with us, now until the end.

Forever grateful, a compelled fan.