The Greek Connection

The Greek Connection

Sororities are more than just Greek letters on a shirt.

6
The Greek Connection
Julie Combs

There are many thoughts that come to mind when people think of sorority girls. The most common thoughts that I have heard personally are as follows: "sorority girls pay for their friends." "sorority girls are ditzy." "If you're in a sorority, you must party all of the time." "Sorority girls sleep around a lot." "Sorority girls are fake and only care about their looks." "Sorority girls are all rich, superficial girly girls." "Sorority girls are selfish and only care about themselves."

I don't believe any of those qualities can be associated with being a sorority girl, but instead should be associated with who a person is as an individual. I transferred to UAB in the Spring of last year and immediately found my home within the sorority of Alpha Xi Delta. After spending my second new member day with the sisters, I instantly clicked with them and knew that I was in the process of creating forever friendships. These friendships were put to the ultimate test when I moved back home and was awaiting my acceptance into nursing school. I was gone for six months. During that time, my friendships with my sisters never faded. Instead, they grew. We spent countless hours on the phone and still shared everything that was going on in each other’s lives. In a lot of cases, distance will cause friendships to fade, but not ours. Joining Alpha Xi Delta was without a doubt one of the best decisions that I have ever made and I will tell you why. My sisters are strong, smart, dedicated, successful, caring individuals who spend a lot of their time volunteering and helping others. They lift me up when I am down and help me realize my potential and strengths. Sorority girls are more than just Greek letters on a shirt. They are required to uphold many standards. A certain GPA is one of them so the thought of sorority girls being ditzy is far from the truth. They also have to maintain a certain number of volunteer hours so that gets rid of the thought that sorority girls are all selfish. The thought that sorority girls pay for their friends is also far from the truth. The dues that you pay in a sorority does not guarantee friends. Dues are required of each member to help the chapter hold events and other necessities required to improve the chapter. Also, not all sorority girls are girly girls. I just recently took a three-day backpacking trip with one of my sisters. I can be a girly girl at times, but you won’t always catch me with perfect makeup and a spray tan. I honestly can’t imagine what my life would be like without my sisters. They have been there for me ever since the day I accepted my bid into Alpha Xi Delta. I have no doubt that they will continue to be there for me and I know that I will continue to be there for them. Friendships may fade but sisters are forever. Alpha Xi Delta changed my life and it can change yours too. Roses are red, violets are blue, Alpha Xi Delta is a group of sisters that you can be apart of too.