Tribute to the Revolutionary Mary Tyler Moore

Hollywood suffered a big loss with the passing of Mary Tyler Moore.

15
flickr

Mary Tyler Moore revolutionized the modern woman. She broke out of the mold of what a housewife was supposed to be. She changed the look of fashion and television at a time when the women's movement was just starting to play out. She faced brain tumors and diabetes. She had a 33-year old love story.

Moore left her mark on television and on the hearts of everyone in America. Now, America says goodbye to the 70s' revolutionary. Moore passed away January 25, 2017, after a long battle with diabetes. She was 80 years old.

She grew up in New York and moved to Los Angeles when she was eight years old. In high school, she began dancing. She got her start as a dancer for commercials, playing a dancing elf, Happy Hotpoint, promoting appliances in the mid-50s. She was also a chorus dancer in television variety shows.

Most known for her roles in the television sitcoms "The Dick Van Dyke Show" and "The Mary Tyler Moore Show", she changed how women were viewed in television. From playing a beloved, quirky housewife to a spunky, 30-something working woman, Moore paved the way for actresses (and women) everywhere.

Her role in "The Dick Van Dyke Show" -- which won Moore two Emmys -- allowed housewives to go from wearing dresses and heels to wearing capri pants and flats. Acting as Van Dyke's wife in this sitcom, Moore proved to be his comedic equal. Sharing his background in song and dance, Van Dyke and Moore enhanced each other's charm.

"I heard something in her voice that got to me," creator and producer of the show Carl Reiner said. "I think the fact that Mary and Dick were dancers gave the whole program a grace that very few programs have."

"The Mary Tyler Moore Show" is where Moore really changed how society sees women. Moore's character in the show, Mary Richards, is a 30-something, single woman who is focused on progressing in her career as an associate news producer for WJM television station. What made this character groundbreaking was the fact that she was not divorced or widowed, but chose to put love as a secondary priority and was "determined to make it on her own".

The show -- including Moore's character -- also touched on subjects that were controversial during its time. Subjects such as being a childless woman, equal pay for women and the use of birth control were all discussed on the show.

Besides being an actress, singer and dancer, Moore was also an activist. She believed in animal rights and worked with organizations such as the Humane Society and Farm Sanctuary. She also co-founded Broadway Barks, an organization that organizes an annual event in broadway to promote pet adoptions.

Aside from her popularity and stardom, Moore had her share of tough situations in her personal life. She dealt with an alcoholic mother and lost her sister to an alcohol and painkiller addiction.

In 1980, she lost her only son, Richard, to an accidental self-inflicted gunshot wound.

In 1984, Moore checked into the Betty Ford Clinic for treatment for alcoholism. Her husband, Robert Levine, says she wasn't an alcoholic, but a social drinker. He says the reason she checked in was because her drinking would affect her diabetes.

Despite the tough situations that came her way, Moore never quit. "You can't be brave if you've only had wonderful things happen to you," she said.