The Great Gatsby: I Brought It To College With Me

A personal favorite of mine

25

I love the Great Gatsby. It's great. I brought my copy to college. It's fully annotated because I'm that person.

I've been reading avidly since I was a kid. I love books and it has continued into College and I will always have books in my life. A good book, any story really, can connect the past and the present. Sometimes Stories are you have left of People you love. I read because it's easy to get lost in pages and there are always more books to read in the world. One of the best books I have ever read is what I'd like to talk about:

The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald.

Other than being a Damn Fucking Master piece of a paper back and one of my favorite books in the world and mentioned in that Owen Wilson Movie, A Midnight in Paris, Fitzgerald was played by Tom Hiddleston. It's an amazingly crafted 180 pages narrated by a man named Nick Carraway, who lives next door to Jay Gatsby's extravagant castle of a house. The Great Gatsby is one of my personal favorites and I don't understand why some people hate it. It is a cautionary tale of the American Dream and in my mind it's a cautionary tale of how a short love affair can obsession. At one point in the novel, after Gatsby reunites with Daisy and they'd been having an affair, Nick, Gatsby, Daisy, Tom, and Jordan are all staying in a hotel in New York temporary because it's a hot summer in New York and Tom is clued into the affair between his wife and Gatsby. Gatsby begins to spiral out of control after Tom tells Daisy how Gatsby made all his money and Daisy choose Tom over him. Gatsby never really loved Daisy. He was in love with the past they had. He was in love with the perfect Idea of Daisy that he had. She would have never been able to be held to that standard Gatsby had in his mind. At the end of Daisy's dock, she has this green light and on page 93 Nick remarks, "Possibly it had occurred to him that the colossal significance of that light had now vanished forever. Compared to the great distance that had separated him from Daisy it had seemed very near to her, almost touching her. It had seemed as close as a star to the moon. Now it was again a green light on a dock. His count of enchanted objects had diminished by one." Make of that what you will, but I still love this book.

I've meet someone in my life that didn't like The Great Gatsby, I can't remember why because it's one of my personal favorites. I don't have to justify why I like the book. I just enjoy the book and reccomened that if you haven't read it that you pick it up, but if you have you should defenatly pick it up again and come at the narrative with a set of fresh eyes from a new perspective.