To The Girl Who Makes Her Boyfriend Her Whole Life

Don't be that girl.

572

Now don’t get me wrong, I am not someone who is against relationships. If you choose to date in college, that is great for you. If it's a healthy relationship, I wish you the best.

I’m also not saying every girl in college who has a relationship is like this, but some girls take it to the next level and they alienate their friends and family until the only person they have left is their boyfriend.

Whether you want to admit it or not, most relationships in college are not meant to last. That doesn’t mean you shouldn't experience them.

I think every relationship you have, you grow and learn from as a person. But when you let go of the other important aspects of your life, whether it's schoolwork, other friendships or extracurriculars, just to be hanging out with your boyfriend, it's kind of a problem.

Think of all the experiences you are missing out on, just because of this one person. At the end of the day, they may or may not be there.

If you guys eventually break up, then what are you going to do? Your friends that you alienated may not be there for you in the end, and you are going to have to find yourself alone with nobody to lean on.

What happens when you find that your grades have slipped because of all the time you’ve been spending with your boyfriend? Breakups and heartbreaks aren’t an excuse for a poor GPA.

The people who are able to heal quickly from a breakup are the ones who don’t let their world revolve around their relationships. They are able to move on and continue to be happy because they know who they are without that person.

The most important person in your life is you, especially at this age, and it's important to not lose yourself in a relationship. You have to put yourself first sometimes.

These four years of college are some of the best ones of your life, so do you really want to waste it on a boy or a relationship that may not last? Odds are, your current boyfriend is not going to be the last boyfriend you have in your lifetime. When you look back on your college experience, do you really want to remember spending time with an ex-boyfriend, or good times with your best friends and making memories that will last you the rest of your life?

The key to maintaining relationships is balance. You can’t neglect other important aspects of your life just because you have a boyfriend. You have to find balance in maintaining relationships with everyone in your life, along with focusing on work or school or whatever else you have going on in your life.

Now, this isn’t meant to be an article that tells you that you need to dump your boyfriend, or that all relationships are a waste of time or bad news. But if the things I’m saying remind you of yourself and your own relationship, it's probably time to take a step back and reflect.

Focus on yourself and think, “Am I that girl making my boyfriend the center of my life?”

Respect yourself enough to not be that girl.