"The Girl on the Train" Review

"The Girl on the Train" Review

The amount of passion and devotion Emily Blunt has playing her role, is why the movie exceeded my expectations.

37
"The Girl on the Train" Review
Google

Hi friends!

Last weekend I saw the film "The Girl on the Train" based off of the book by Paula Hawkins. This movie has been everywhere lately and I can see why people are raving about it. From the acting, to the script, everything about this film is amazing.

"The Girl on the Train" is a mystery/ drama film that focuses on the main character, Rachel Watson, and her life after divorce. She commutes to work via train, and passes her old house along the way. She imagines what it's like with her ex-husband, his new wife and their baby living in her home. Rachel also creates a story of who she thinks the couple, Megan and Scott Hipwell are, a few houses down. She imagines them to be the perfect couple- something her and Tom could never be. One day on her journey to work, Rachel sees something strange. Her fantasy of this perfect couple is shattered, sending her into a rage.

Still affected by what she saw the day before, Rachel wakes up bloody, bruised and hung over. What happened the night before? She tries to remember what she did, but there are pieces of time missing. When Rachel reads the news that Megan, the woman she sees everyday through the train window is missing, she panics. Rachel begins to question herself and sets out on a mission to regain her loss of time and find Megan.

Besides the thrilling plot, what kept me interested in the movie is the darkness of the script and the rawness of Emily Blunt's acting. She was born to play this role. Emily played into the vulnerability of Rachel and the struggles she endures post divorce. The amount of passion and devotion Emily Blunt has playing her role, is why the movie exceeded my expectations.

My favorite thing about "The Girl on the Train" is the fact that the film does not sugarcoat abuse. Alcoholism and domestic violence are incorporated into the writing, and the script shows the effect both can have on people and their relationships. The writers did a phenomenal job illustrating the realness that those endure with substance and other forms of abuse.

Check out the trailer below!

Disclaimer: There were quite a few intimate scenes and sexual references. If you are not comfortable with that, this movie might not be for you.