From The Girl Who Didn't Skip The Party Stage

A response to "From The Girl Who Skipped The Party Stage."

6333
Instagram /@barstoolalabama
“I've learned one thing, and that's to quit worrying about stupid things. You have four years to be irresponsible here, relax. Work is for people with jobs. You'll never remember class time, but you'll remember the time you wasted hanging out with your friends. So stay out late. Go out with your friends on a Tuesday when you have a paper due on Wednesday. Spend money you don't have. Drink 'til sunrise. The work never ends, but college does..."
- Tom Petty

I did not skip the party stage because I am 21, young, and eager to live life to the absolute fullest. I didn't skip the party stage because I understand that I will never be as young as I am at this moment. I didn't skip the party stage because I know that the only thing in life that is irreplaceable are experiences, not things.

To the girl who skipped the party stage, this is why you're missing out. While you're at home on a Friday night, you're missing out on great conversations, experiences, and people you will never have the chance to meet. Let me be clear in that you do not have to drink or do drugs to have fun. Going to a party is about having a good time with your friends, not spinning out of control. Now, I understand that not everyone is a social butterfly like myself. However, I do not support putting other women down because of their personal choices. The article "From The Girl Who Skipped The Party Stage" states that girls shouldn't have one-night stands. While I personally do not believe in it, slut-shaming other women for their choices does not make you any better. All girls are human and go much deeper than the generalization of the life you've assumed they lead.

Although I didn't skip the party, I am not simply just a "partier" and here is why:

When you see me in the bathroom at the party, you'll probably notice I'm wearing a tight shirt and that I put more than five minutes into choosing my outfit. If we talk, you'll discover that I'm in a sorority and most likely stereotype me into the typical "easy party girl" based on the fact that I'm out on a Wednesday night and I have class in the morning.

But I am also the girl that works two jobs, stays active, and gets good grades. I am the girl that enjoys reading books in a coffee shop, outdoors, road trips, and has a travel list longer than a textbook. I am the girl who is always up for anything as long as good company is involved.

I am the girl that will stay in to bake brownies and watch terrible rom-coms all night. I am the girl that will drive 20 minutes just to get a slice of pizza... Who am I kidding, an entire pizza. I am the girl you can call the night before to go an adventure the next morning. I am the girl that speaks more than one language because I understand that peace is through understanding. I am the girl you can call at 4 a.m. to get you out of a bad situation or vent about a petty issue.

If you weren't so quick to judge me you would know that I didn't go home with the boy talking to me all night because he is my good friend. The next morning, I woke up and looked at pictures from the night before that I will laugh about for the rest of my life. My week-long typical college spring break gave me great memories and even greater friends. The random girls I was dancing with at a party ended up being my future roommates. Being in Greek life has taught me more about myself than I ever could have imagined.

While I understand that not everyone is the same, just because I like to go out does not mean that is all I live for or that I am less than you.

I didn't skip the party stage but that does not define me.