The 6 Different Types Of College Roommates As Told By 'Friends'

Is your roommate a Chandler or a Phoebe?

1629
newstatesman.com

Getting a new roommate is always nerve-racking. Who knows what they're going to be like or if you're going to get along. You can either have a new best friend or a passive aggressive acquaintance living two feet from your bed. We've all been there, so here are a few examples of common roommate types, inspired by the characters from "Friends."

The Chandler

The Chandler is a very common type of college student, so chances are you will end up with one at some point. Don't worry, they're harmless.

They are a bit socially awkward and self-loathing, but aren't we all? You don't have to worry about them bringing random people back to the room or staying out late and partying. The Chandler is the quiet night-in type. As long as you don't mind the occasional sarcastic comment, you could be friends for life.

Just don't forget to love them; they need to be reminded every once in a while just what they mean to you.

The Joey

Another common type is the Joey. This roommate is super lovable and makes a great friend, but he may be missing a screw or two.

Having meaningful conversations with this roommate is hard because he has only two things on his mind.

As long as you don't mind sharing your food and occasionally being asked to vacate the room, this roommate can be one of the closest friends you'll ever make.

The Monica

The Monica can be a tough roomy to connect with. They are the type of person that has a plan and place for everything. Be careful if you borrow any of their stuff and be sure to have permission before doing so.

They need to feel in control of everything and they freak out if one thing is out of place. If you can handle frequent freak outs and stay away from their stuff, living with a Monica can become the greatest time of your life.

The Phoebe

The Phoebe is the wildcard. This roommate is unpredictable and hard to understand.

But even while spouting nonsense, they always have their friends' best interests in mind. The Phoebe is rare and weird, but if you give them a chance you'll find yourself with a friend for years.

The Rachel

The Rachel is your typical hot mess college student. They tend to act without thinking and consequences are second thoughts.

They may have started out as a spoiled rich kid, but they are determined to break away from that title and make a name for themselves on their own. They may not be the greatest at it, but at least the will is there.

It may seem like they just want to have a good time and are always with someone new, but the Rachel is just afraid of getting hurt. When they fall in love with someone, they fall hard. The same can be said when they make a friend. It may be hard to get them to admit it, but once they are your best friend, there's no getting rid of them.

The Ross

The Ross is awkward and kind of tragic. They excel greatly when it comes to anything school related, but that tends to overshadow anything else.

They seem hopeless when it comes to love. They will surprise you time and again with a new love interest and they always seem to move way too fast, but in the end only one person holds their heart. They are the type to hold onto hope for as long as it takes.

You will constantly be pulling them away from either textbooks or old photos, but once you get their mind on something else, they can be a lot of fun.