5 Things I Learned In My First 2 Weeks Of College

The Freshman 5

16
me

Being broke, eating boiled sodium (Ramen noodles), studying until you can't remember what your last name is, all while keeping up a social life and constant contact with your mother who, obviously, texts you between 8 and 10 times a day, just to see how you're doing. This is college. College is your first view of "adult life" and it can make you realize that you're either set or have absolutely no idea what you're doing. College teaches you a lot of things, aside from what the mass number of Carbon is or that organization might not be your thing. Your freshman year is a vital transition between your high school life and what could be the rest of your life. You always hear about the scary "freshman 15" but, as a second, almost third, week freshman, I've avoided the freshman 15 but also learned the freshman 5.

1. It's okay to say no.

As a freshman, you aren't used to being able to go out and do things without having to ask a parent so, when someone asks you to go to the local 'underage rage' at the bar downtown or out to a party, saying no is okay! Even though it may seem like they won't like you after you turn down their request, odds are, they won't remember in a few days. It's a night out- not their wedding.

2. It's okay to call home.

A lot of people think once you're in college, you are completely independent and won't have any contact with your hometown. False. I, personally, only called home twice in the first week but my roommate called home almost every night, which is good. The transition can be difficult for some, making it easier if they can still have some normalcy in their lives by talking to family.

3. It's okay not to be home sick.

My first week of school, everyone around me seemed to be missing home and slightly upset that they were missing out on the fun things going on with their home friends. I started to feel bad that I wasn't missing it. Yes, I missed my parents, my brother, the rest of my family, my boyfriend and my few close friends but I know I didn't miss much else. Leaving your old town and friends behind is scary, but it could be for the best. Meeting new people can change your perspective on a lot of things.

4. You have a new identity.

In your old town, you might have been a big jock or big into band and choir, you might have loved to spend all of your time in the art room or were happy just going to class and getting your stuff done. In college, everything changes. There aren't cliques of football players and cheerleaders and people find out who they are. If you were shy in high school, this is your time to overcome it. Deciding to go to a school where I didn't know anyone was a hard thing for me to do, because I was very shy around people I didn't know at first. Coming to school made me step out of my box and realize that it's okay to meet new people. They won't bite.

5. School is hard, but you'll get through it.

My first day of school, I walked into my chemistry class of 307 students- I felt as if I were sitting at graduation again, even though this was bigger than my graduating class of 214. It was terrifying at first- what if the teacher calls me and I don't know the answer and embarrass myself in front of so many people? What if I can't succeed in this class well enough to meet the requirements for my next semester? Take a breather, chill out. People before you have done it, and I'm sure many people after you will do it. There are millions of resources to help you get through the hard classes. Tutoring is for smart kids in college. My advice is to get in a habit of going to tutoring or some kind of help because it can impact your grade enough that one bad quiz may not mean life or death.

College is a rollercoaster of emotions, events and caloric intake. Knowing you're on your own is a wonderful, yet terrifying feeling. Being in college means you're studying towards the rest of your life so take it seriously because someone, maybe you, is paying thousands of dollars to make it happen. Study hard, but also make the most of the best time of your life.