The Four Reasons Poetry Is The Language Of The Soul

1. It offers freedom

There is no structure or rulebook on how to write a poem. You are completely free to express yourself however you want. There is beauty within the freedom to write openly without a set structure, without grammar or without fear of doing it wrong. Poetry accepts you in all your fragmented, scattered thoughts. Writing essays requires organized sentences, grammar checks, and a thorough explanation with supporting evidence of a thesis. However, writing poetry, particularly stream of consciousness, requires nothing but the human emotion and a pen. There is an organic element in poetry that cannot be replicated in essays. It is a person’s emotions, ideas and feelings spilling itself out without fear of its authenticity or organization. A poem does not cage you or hold you to any standards. It simply lets you be and express. Amongst the freedom of writing without boundaries, people express themselves in depths they would not have been able to otherwise.

2. It’s raw and open

Poetry is open to interpretation. It can paint an image and display an emotion sometimes more vividly than all the sentences in an essay can. There is power in poems that show the true nature of people. People aren’t organized beings; they are distorted at times. They are random and they are passionate. They seek to express themselves and hope the messages between the lines are understood and implied. People love and understand poetry for its authenticity. The open nature of poetry and its intimate vulnerability make it relatable, powerful and lovable.

3. It doesn’t discriminate against anybody

Poetry will never say no to you. You are not too young to write a poem, nor are you too old. You are capable of writing a poem no matter who you are or how old you are because you are human and filled with emotions, experiences and ideas. Poetry is your language and you may not know it because of the fear of doing it “wrong” but there is no wrong. There is only magnificence in poetry and admiration in sharing it, reciting it, expressing it.

4. It's romantic

Poetry is the language of the soul and of lovers. It is romantic. It can move a person to tears and it can make a difference. It appeals to our soft side. It breaks down our walls and lets us feel the impact of the chosen words. It paints us with different colors and makes us feel exposed and vulnerable. Poetry empowers us. It’s music to our ears, and bonds us. It is intimate and it exposes itself. The power of poetry goes beyond expressing oneself onto creating deeper connections with one another and sharing feelings sentences cannot do justice for.

"Dead Poets Society"