The First Presidential Debate: Things That Haven't Changed
Politics

There were few surprises.

7

Trump's temperament still needs work.

America is still waiting for Trump to act "presidential." That will require him to stop shouting in monotone and to speak in full, complete sentences. And explain is policies in detail, release his tax returns and stop being racist.

Hillary was in total control, as usual.

It was great to see her steer the conversation back to answer the original question (and demand the clock is restarted after Trump interrupts her for a long period during her time to speak.) Despite having a bout of walking pneumonia not too long ago, it seems she recovered well and was extremely prepared for this spectacle, er, debate.

Hillary didn't have much to say about her emails.

I think, at this point, we all know she made mistake. She even said so during the debate. It's the one issue that she can't really defend and is now, basically just like, "Alright, fine, you've got me on this one. That's like, 1 point for Trump and a zillion for me. I'll live."

Trump said the words "China" and "Mexico" a lot.

He knows that his supporters love it when he takes a dump on China and Mexico, so he has to do that every time he gets on stage, no matter what situation he's in. He then proceeds to talk about jobs as if they're some mysterious, elusive and endangered species that is threatened by tax increases on the wealthy and vulnerable, undocumented immigrants who come time America to work hard (brutally so) and possibly have a better life. The jobs also don't like economic policy designed to explicitly to benefit the middle class.

Trump still thinks one million dollars is a small loan.

I guess he thought this debate was an appropriate time to stand by that sentiment.