To The First New Friend I Made In College

You've made college life a little bit easier.
89

Let's go back a few months to the end of August. It's the week before school starts and I'm not only at a new school but a new place.

Needless to say, that first week I was nervous. So far, I only knew one person and they went to the same high school as I had.

We actually met the week before, in our K group. If I remember correctly, there were two other girls that we met and sort of hung out with, at least at the beginning. I think the turning point to our friendship was when you asked me if I wanted to go to my first real college party. I, of course, said yes.

Little did I know what saying yes would turn into. We became inseparable and you became my very first friend.

Throughout the first week, we grew closer, we watched the solar eclipse together, then went to cookouts that some of your friends were hosting at their house.

Also, because you are from Lexington, you were able to introduce me to all of those friends, and we even discovered that we both have December birthdays! We also discovered that we lived fairly close to each other. This turned out to be great, our system for driving has definitely helped me a lot.

The first day of school, I was nervous. But thanks to you, I wasn't. We decided to ride together, which I will forever be grateful for. Now, almost five months later, it feels like I've known you longer than just a few months. There's not much you don't know and not much I haven't told you about me.

And as we're nearing the end of the semester, I can't wait to go home for the first time in about five months but one thing I will miss about being on break is that instead of being a few minutes apart, we will be a few states apart. But I also know that time will go by fast and I'll be back again for the spring semester.

You're probably one of the few people who I have only known a few months and can call my best friend (I mean, we've even cleaned a bathroom together). I'm glad we were able to meet and become so close.

I want to end by saying how thankful I am that you came into my life. Thanks for being there from the beginning, at a time when I was super anxious, meeting you helped calm my nerves and relax. Your openness to becoming my friend gave me a much-needed confidence to go and make more friends and suddenly I didn't feel alone anymore.

So here's to the next 3 1/2 years and many after that.