The Final Crazies

The Final Crazies

The craziest things I've seen during exam week

10121
The Final Crazies
Shay Cassady

Exams have a way of bringing out the crazy in us. I’ll even admit that I’m always the most extreme version of myself when the pressure starts to crack down. And the more odd people get the more they influence the people around them, creating a storm of just unusual situations. While, I’ve only been at college for a year I can truly claim I’ve seen some weird stuff go down in Auburn library that week of finals. And if I’m being honest the results of this strange cocktail of desperation, lack of sleep, and junk food doesn’t really surprise me.

I mean what else do you expect when you put a bunch of students in a small space while they try to figure out how they can get 113 on their final to pass the class. So, without further ado, here my top five list of the Auburn's college crazies.

5. Rituals (My geology lab final)

I’ve heard about a lot of different ways to studying. Re-writing notes, going to study sessions, cramming…While sitting in the hall staring at my notes I heard the guy next to me discuss his study method. You could say It was a rather extreme. Most of us have heard different ways to recall information. Where there are certain colors and things that allow people to evoke memories of the information they studied. For example, listening to music. If you listen to a certain song while studying, it will be easier to recall the information on your test when re-listening to that song. Well this boy does the same thing. But with dip. Yup, actual dip. He claims that going into his exam with a “fat lip” helps him recall the information better because he does it while he studies. Weird, but apparently effective. I watched that man walk out of his final in with a fat lip, a camo shirt, a smile on his face.

4. Singing in the library

We all need the occasional early-morning pump up song. It hits 4 am and all of a sudden the coffee’s just not enough to keep you going. Normally at this point a person puts in their earbuds and start to listening their favorite throwback songs that give you just enough nostalgia and encouragement to buy your 5th cup of coffee and keep grinding. But occasionally people take this one step further. Why just listen to your music when you can sing it. Yes, I am talking about the people that stand on tables and belt out there favorite Christmas carols at 2 am. Maybe it’s the sleep deprivation, maybe you lost a dare. But sane people don’t normally belt out jingle bells on the top of their lungs for over 100 people to listen too. This one goes to the girl that got half the library to sing along to her rendition of jingle bells during my fall semester of finals.

3. Pulling out a beer mid-final

I’ve heard about pulling out a beer during an online final. But until my friend’s psychology final I haven’t heard of anyone actually cracking open a cold one during an on-site final. She claims It was actually quite magical getting tested on the effects of alcoholism on the brain while someone actually sipped on a natty light a couple rows down. I guess they were hoping a little Dilly Dilly would raise their final grade.

2. Sleeping in the RBD

Despite times leads to despite measures they say. Or in this case, not enough energy leads to taking a cat nap on the libraries couch. Sometimes you have to do what you have to do. Its understandable. Sleeping on the libraries couch happens to all of us. But it’s really rare that its actually planned. However, during finals week I’ve seen more people caring in pillows and blankets than actual text books. What a fragile state you must be in to actually plan on sleeping on couch. This one goes to the girl I saw passed out on the libraries couch with a pillow, a blanket, and a sleeping eye mask.

1. Ordering 12 pizzas to the RBD

Stress eating is not new to any of us. As much as most of us try to avoid the sad truth, most of us consume more calories during finals than the average football player getting ready for a game. My last night of finals I stumbled down the libraries steps ready to buy my 5th snack of the night when I look over and see a girl walking up the stairs with TWELVE pizza boxes. The smell was magical. I’m not really sure how long she was planning on staying in the library but I applaud her preparation and dedication to study snacking.