The Few Things That I've Learnt in a Month

College is a place to find who you are and where you belong.

1
Courtney Wendt

I've been in college for a little over a month now and I've learnt so much. Not only in my classes but as well as my social and personal life.

I guess you could say in the short amount of time that I've been here I've already dealt with a lot. From moving residence halls, to being called fat on a white board, to dropping my phone in the fountain and losing my debit card within two days of one another. This first month has been one of the most stressful experiences I've ever had, though it could've gone much better, I don't think I could trade this experience for any other.

I've learned that everyone is loud. No matter if they look quiet, or say they're quiet. They're all loud, especially at 2 in the morning when you have a lab at 8. Quiet hours are imposed, but once our RA's go off duty, everyone gets loud again.

Guys think that college is a breeding ground. 75% of guys turn into whore's when they get to college. And the guys you'd least expect turn into the biggest ones of all. Especially those who in fact have a girl back home. Because no one knows each other, no one knows who has a significant other and who doesn't. Unless you're like me and can find them all on facebook.

You can get really close to someone in the group chat all summer, but as soon as you get to college they become a completely different person. Sometimes they'll say 'Hi' or 'Hello', but other than the minimal conversation you won't hear from them like you did before.

Don't be the one to try to talk to guys just because. Eventually, you'll look desperate, it'll cloud that you actually have someone who cares about you that isn't in college. You'll find the one for you, they may not even be one of the people who you go to college with.

Finally, don't try to change who you are to impress people. Who you are is unique, and no one is a better you than you. If you're loud and love to laugh, find friends that are the same. Don't try to hang out the ones who portray themselves in a manner that is demeaning to others that they hang out with.

College is a place where you can show who you really are and make life long friends. Don't come out of your room because you're scared of what others are going to say about you because truth be known, you'll find someone who is just like you.