The Female Equivalent of Bad Boy

The Female Equivalent of Bad Boy

Spoiler alert there is none

1265
The Female Equivalent of Bad Boy
http://i.huffpost.com/gen/1065221/images/o-BAD-BOY-facebook.jpg

The other night I was talking with my roommate about the idea of a bad boy. The boy who is probably a father's worst nightmare. The boy who smokes, drinks, drives a motorcycle, wears leather, and talks in one syllable responses. The guy who seems dumb but is actually really smart. And sweet. You just have to break through that I don't give a fuck exterior. Which is about a thousand feet thick.

And this is when I realized there is no bad girl. We don't have bad girls. When girls do those things we call them freaks, weirdos, girls in need of an attitude adjustment, dykes, feminists, sluts, easy.

And you may be thinking so what? But this is just another way that women are not equal to men. A very subtle way too, I will give you that. It is one that is laced into our very brain. Same as you throw like a girl or have some balls. It's the little phrases that teach us that girls just can't do the same thing as boys.

In this case, girls can't be dangerous and still be hot, the way that boys can. Girls instead would be freaks. And why does that matter? Because then girls can't have power in the same way men can. If men can get away with being dangerous and powerful and sexy, but women can't, what message does that send? That women are less powerful.

I realize that this seems like a leap. But until we start understanding and recognizing the very subtle ways our culture belittles women; we have no hope of becoming equal.