The End Of Winter Break As A Freshman

The End Of Winter Break As A Freshman

Falling in and out of old routines.

19

After a few weeks home to rest and rejuvenate after full semester, it is time to go back and start all over for Spring semester. The beginning of spring semester brings new classes, new people, new weather, and new opportunities.

In some ways, moving in for the spring feels similar to how moving into college felt. The days of winter break have been spent the with family and friends from home and as the days go by it starts to feel like you never really left... That is until you have to start packing your bags again and saying your goodbyes.

I can't speak for everyone, but as much as I love being at school there are certainly times when I miss home. Whether it is missing my dog, my friends, my family, or just the basic comforts of my favorite iced coffee shops- I admit to having the occasional homesickness. Due to this, it was easy for me to fall back into my old routine when I returned home for break. My best friends and I would show up at each other's houses unannounced and my mom would wake me up with my usual coffee and bagel order. Being at home again, for me, was easy and comfortable.

However, the problem is not a matter of falling back into the old routine but rather breaking that routine all over again. I found it almost as hard to say my goodbyes the second time around.

As I said goodbye to my dad before my mom and I left, he told me how sad he was to see me go. Just like when my parents dropped me off in the fall, my mom had tears in her eyes leaving. My first night at school my dad sent a video in the family group chat of my dog sniffing around my room, presumably looking for me. My friend group got together the night before I left to say goodbye, again. It is easy to forget that it is not just you that feels like you are leaving all over again.

On the bright side, going back to school for the second semester is a lot less scary than the first time around. There are things to look forward to like reuniting with friends and becoming re-involved in your campus activities. Whereas when you first moved into school all of these things were concerns whirling through your head. It is likely you have already, or at least started to, find your place at school and therefore you are going back to fall back into another one of your old routines. This time you have an idea of what to expect and have a certain degree of comfort. When you get back to campus it, too, feels like you never left.

Though the moving in and out of school brings about spells of homesickness, whether it is missing home or missing school, I feel lucky to have my two different little worlds between the two. Every time there is sadness of leaving one place, there is the excitement of going back to the other.