The Double Life Of A Pilot And A Student

'Have the same excitement for something every time you do it, it shapes who you are and guides your goals.'

23

If you ran into Chris Ward in the library at The Ohio State University you would think he was just as nerdy as the rest of us. He has in face buried in a textbook, headphones in his ears, and a snack to save him from absolute starvation of studying. Little do you know, he actually flies planes around in his free time. I caught an interview with Chris Ward to hear about his double life as a student and pilot.

Name and major?

Chris Ward and Operations Management.

What do you love the most about OSU Marion?

I really enjoy the small class sizes and the professors. You get a more personal experience in class and the fact that it’s cheaper is also a perk.

Do you have any particular class or professor that you enjoyed the most?

English 2367.01 (Secondary English) with Amy Tibbles. The class was easy going and we did a lot of cool projects. My favorite was the “giving back project” We had the chance to give back to the community in Marion. I went to a church and served meals to the homeless the day after Thanksgiving.

Tell us about your unique job.

I am an intern at a consulting firm in the construction industry. I help set up projects in the office and I also travel in the company aircraft. We conduct inspections internationally.

Do you have a favorite pilot?

Bob Hoover. He was a famous test research pilot in the 1940s. He was a fighter pilot in War World II and was shot down and captured by the Germans. A few weeks before WWII ended, he escaped the prison camp and stole an enemy aircraft and flew to safety.

He worked as a test pilot in the late 1940s and early '50s and on monumental aviation projects. He worked on the project that Chuck Yeager famously broke the sound barrier, and he was the backup pilot for the mission. He also flew in air shows while working for a major aircraft manufacturer. He is known as the father of modern aerobatics,” and Jimmy Doolittle described him as the “greatest stick and rudder man who have ever lived.” I admire him because he’s the pilot I want to become and the professional I want to be. I want to strive to be “Bob Hoover smooth” along with a lot of other pilots. If you can be “Bob Hoover smooth” you can be the best pilot.

Who is your biggest role model?

My parents because they have made me the person I am today. They taught me to dream and shoot big. They’ve put themselves aside in order to help me achieve my goals.

How did you discover your love for flying?

I was raised around it. My dad has always loved the thought of aviation. He would take us to the airport to watch planes fly and we had frequent visits to the United States Air Force museum in Dayton. We always caught the EAA Young Eagles when they were in town and we could sign up for a free ride. I had all things aviation while I was growing up: model airplanes, a flight simulator, books. I could turn every cardboard box into an airplane. It’s all I’ve ever cared about and it’s always consumed me.

How does it feel when your up in the air?

It feels freeing. It’s relaxing but at the same time, it’s exciting. If you actually think about what you are doing it’s pretty crazy. It’s a very personal thing, it’s between you and your machine. I have to use a combination of all of my training.

Biggest challenge?

Not letting circumstances or opinions influence what I want to do and sticking to my guns, keeping my eyes on the prize, and never compromise for anything I wanted to do. I had to make a lot of sacrifices to do what I love. I had to make money to fly, stay out of trouble, and stay in the nights before I’d be at the airport. Everything I do is just to fly.

Future plans?

After I graduate college, I would like to fly in the air force. After that, I’d like to use aviation to help with my business ventures and keep my family connected.

Best accomplishment?

I was a member of the Civil Air Patrol and attended a week-long encampment at the Youngstown Air Reserve Station. My flight (15 cadets out of 100) graduated honor flight for the entire encampment because we scored the highest marks in drill and ceremonies, inspections, academic testing, and physical training. We were really proud."

Quote or verse you live by?

There is a poem called High Flight by John Gillespie who was an aviator and poet. It perfectly describes how a pilot feels up in the air. One my favorite parts of the poem is, "And, while with silent lifting mind I've trod, The high untresspassed sanctity of space, Put out my hand and touched the face of God."

Advice for other students?

Find what you love to do and chase it. Don’t let others opinions influence your decisions.

What’s your definition of passion?

Having the same excitement for something every time you do it, it shapes who you are and guides your goals.

Having the job of your dreams isn't impossible as Chris Ward has proven that. He is an inspiration to all college students trying to chase their dreams. You just have to grab on to what you love and fly with it.